Optometry School Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb4teen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured since we don't have a Optometry School Interview Feedback Forum on this site I'd make a thread for one. I find it very helpful to prepare before my interviews. So if you have any info on previous interviews please inform us all. The school, any hard or interesting questions, or any other advice would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview this summer with Waterloo. One question they asked was "What would you do if you caught one of your friends cheating on an exam you were writing?".

Also, do some research on your province/state optometry boards and comittees. They asked a few questions like "Who would you contact if you had a dispute with a patient that you couldn't work out between the two of you?". Another one was "Are you your own boss or is there a comittee higher up that regulates the rules etc.?".

It woulda helped me if I researched into this a bit more than I did. Hopefully this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx, thats a great thread. It'll help alot. Does anyone know if there is essays at PCO and NOVA interviews this year? I have interviews at both these places in a week. If anyone has any info of this years interviews at these places it would sure be useful. Anything I should know about??

jb4teen said:
"What would you do if you caught one of your friends cheating on an exam you were writing?".

Apparently the most "correct" answer to this question is that you should confront the friend, and compel him/her to turn themselves in - otherwise you are obligated to do this on their behalf.

jb4teen said:
Thanx, thats a great thread. It'll help alot. Does anyone know if there is essays at PCO and NOVA interviews this year? I have interviews at both these places in a week. If anyone has any info of this years interviews at these places it would sure be useful. Anything I should know about??

There are no essays at PCO interviews. It's just about a 45 minute interview with one faculty member- really laid back. I actually work in the admissions office there so let me know if you have any other questions :)

jb4teen said:
The Nova interview was laid back. They have morning and afternoon interviews; I had mine in the morning. First, you interview with two faculty members (one of the faculty members who was supposed to interview me was late, so one of the deans filled in for her). They asked me pretty average stuff, why optometry, about your background, etc. They asked what was the last book I had read which was not an assignment. After I mentioned low vision, they asked me what low vision was. They also asked me a hypothetical question, say that you had a pediatric patient, and you had to put some eye-drops on him, and the kid’s father is not present (you had previously told the father of the kid to go to the cafeteria or something), and the kid starts to throw a fit, but you really need to put the drops on him, how would you deal with the kid?

We later had a tour of the health sciences building, but our tour guide was a second year and surprisingly didn’t know much about the facilities (it was his first tour ever). The facilities are top notch, nice and clean. When then had a fin aid meeting, and then we had lunch with a dean who talked about the school.

For me it was an enjoyable experience, the admissions staff was very very nice, and the other applicants were people from different backgrounds, and from all over the country.

Thanx for all the info, it is really going to help!!!! Also, I know usually they give you a chance to you ask them questions at the end of the interview. I was just wondering if anyone has any good questions to ask? I am thinking that its huge benefit to your interview if you have some intelligent questions to ask. If anyone one has any good thoughts they'd be much appreciated!

I just compiled a list of Interview questions. I am sure if you have an idea what to say for all these quesitions, your interview will run very smooth.

Optometry Interview Questions

1. What are your weaknesses
2. What are your personal strengths

3. How do we know optometry won't bore you later and you'll want a new career
4. What would you do if you caught someone cheating on an exam
5. What are the differences between opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists.
6. What are the differences between clinicians and technicians
7. What influenced you to get into optometry
8. Why optometry
9. Tell me about your background

10. What was the last book you read which was not an assignment
11. What is low vision (or any other sepecialties)
12. You have a pediatric patient, and you had to put some eye-drops on him, and the kid’s father is not present (you had previously told the father of the kid to go to the cafeteria or something), and the kid starts to throw a fit, but you really need to put the drops on him, how would you deal with the kid?
13. What do you know about the AOA - American Optometric Association
14. What could you contribute to the student body
15. Which inventor would you like to meet? Why?
16. What are your hobbies
17. What volunteer work have you done
18. What is your optometry experience

19. What are the sub-specialties in the field of optometry
20. How many different settings can an optometrist work in
21. Can you continue education after finishing optometry school?
22. Are you a good memorizer?
23. What brings you to an interview at NOVA/PCO? What is it that stands out about NOVA/PCO?
24. What made you choose Optometry as a profession out of any other health related profession such as: dentistry, opthalmology, medicine, pharmacy?
25. Do you know how many units are in a quarter at NOVA/PCO? Do you think you have a problem handling it?
26. Why would you consider an Optometrist as a primary care provider?
27. What do you expect to get out of an education at NOVA/PCO?
28. What do you know about the scope of Optometry? What do you see for the future of Optometry?
29. What type of practice do you hope to pursue and why?
30. Have you been keeping up on the news lately? What is a current issue that you have been concerned with?
31. What are your hobbies?
32. What types of optometric instruments have you worked with?
33. Define Professionalism. What about yourself helps define professionalism?
34. Would you continue to see a patient if they wouldn't follow your suggestions/treatment
35. Would you see a patient again who didn't pay their previous bill
36. What's the difference between a professional handyman and a professional doctor
38. Know about current legislation
39. Where do you see optometry in 5 or 10 years
40. What do you do for fun
41. Tell me how you handle stress.
42. Where else did you apply. Why?
43. What experience do you have dealing with the community?
44. What was the most difficult situation you have had to overcome?
45. Clinical experience?
46. What is an optometrist

I bolded the ones that are almost definetly going to show up. Also, There are many repeats, but I through this together in just a few minutes. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for the list :)

thanks JB4 for the list

U're a lifesaver ....

wow, how did u come up with this?

Hi,

I'm freaked out about my PCO and SUNY interview. All these posts are sooo helpful, half my nervousness is gone, but I still have some specific questions which I hope someone may have answers to.

I'm a Canadian student and want to know if anyone else is or knows someone who is a Canadian student and attened an interview at a US school. I'm afraid I may be asked questions about the laws regarding Optometry practices in the States, or about specific associations? Ie. is it enough to know about the profession etc. (as listed by another member--thanks for the list).....or does anyone know of any specific questions I should be aware of.

Also, I'll be having Dr. Johnston, he'll be at University of Waterloo on Nov 22, that's when my interview is. Hopefully someone will help me out.

Thanks
- Rekha