Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ballew21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up? I'm getting ready to apply to Optometry School for the Class of 2007 and I'm wondering if anyone on the board has any advice about interviewing for Opt. school, where they are applying, and the future of Optometry in general. I've worked for an Optometrist for the past 2 years in Indianapolis, so I have some knowledge of the field, what the job entails, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I'll be applying to IU (IN resident), ICO, OSU and MCO (Originally from MI) ...

Members don't see this ad.

Although I didn't apply to any of the schools you're looking at, I applied and was accepted to SUNY and Pacific University and declined an interview at Berkeley. The interviews were pretty typical. My day at SUNY started with an impromptu essay - they gave me 20 minutes. I had no choice in topics. I was asked on how I would act if a patient came to me with a condition that I could treat but that would not be covered by the patient's insurance carrier if the patient was not a referral (I think this is common since O.D.'s are not considered physicians by carriers and their patients are often not covered by insurance). The interview consisted of a
panel of four people: 3 clinical optometrists and 1 academic/research guy. They asked standard questions about my reasons for choosing optometry and SUNY, my experiences that would make me a good optometrist, my good/bad attributes, etc. After that I sat around a while waiting as they interviewed three other people. Then the four of us got a tour of the facility - which has a great clinic and they have recently move to a newly remodeled building in an ideal location. Then we had lunch with some students and were told to feel free to spend as much time as we wanted at the school, attend some lectures/labs, etc. I was interviewed before I took the OAT but was accepted about one week after I got my OAT scores back.

I interviewed at Pacific during the Christmas break. I was invited to interview by phone which was a nice touch. The interview day began with an impromptu essay although this time there was a choice of four odd questions: they had nothing to do with optometry but if memory serves me two of the questions were something like "If you are from Portland, do you carry an umbrella in August" and the another was "Do you prefer to take public transportation or to drive yourself?" After the essay I was interviewed by two people - one was the woman who called me and invited me to interview (the director of Professional Programs at Pacific) and the other was a clinical professor. Much more relaxed than the SUNY interview even though they had prepared questions - a single sheet and they alternated between them asking questions. At the end of the interview I was asked to pick a sheet of paper at random from the table. There was a clinical situation on each and I had to describe how I would act. My situation was one in which I recommend to a child's parents that the child should enter a vision therapy program. The mother is acceptable to the idea but the father says "he's got no problem hitting in little league...he doesn't need any type of therapy." Since it was Christmas break and there were no students on campus, I did not get an official tour. The director that interviewed me gave me a short tour (a very nice small campus in a cute semi-rural Oregon town) as she was several months pregnant at the time. They did tell me I was free to walk around and see the facilities which seemed a bit old but still in good condition. I had an acceptance offer on my answering machine when I got home.

My only advice would be to be yourself, make lots of eye contact, smile, remember people's names, etc. Be sure you feel comfortable answering questions like "Why do you want to be an optometrist?", "What brought you to this decision", "What personal attributes will be helpful/detrimental in your educational pursuits", etc. Don't worry too much about the impromptu essays. They were never mentioned again. Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited April 02, 2001).]

Ballew21 said:
What's up? I'm getting ready to apply to Optometry School for the Class of 2007 and I'm wondering if anyone on the board has any advice about interviewing for Opt. school, where they are applying, and the future of Optometry in general. I've worked for an Optometrist for the past 2 years in Indianapolis, so I have some knowledge of the field, what the job entails, etc. Thanks.

BTW, I'll be applying to IU (IN resident), ICO, OSU and MCO (Originally from MI) ...

which school did you end up going to?

Members don't see this ad :)
MAN!!!!
I remembered at NOVA my interview sucked ass because they had two ODs interviewing me and they grilled my like a hotdog on a 150 degree afternoon. :laugh:
Anyways, they asked me all these hard, moral questions that I still don't know how to answer. Eventually I was so nervous I told them "sorry, I am really nervous right now." HAHAHA. I think they wanted to laugh at me. The first thing they asked me was tell them a joke... MOTHERFU****, what kinda question is that? I was so nervous because I didn't prepare a FREAKING JOKE. Anyways I sweated through the whole interview and was tongue tied most of the time. At the end I think they thought I was an idiot and just sent me on my way. What happened to the "Why do you want to become optometrist?" I had really good answers to the normal questions, but I didn't get to use it at all. I was pissed since me and a buddy had been practicing for a while. I'd say the people that are going into the interview should just be relaxed and try to be flexible with answers, because having an answer prepared for specific questions will mess you up more than it will help you. Just read up on the topics in optometry and be familiar with the school. Also have some questions ready for them and while they're talking, you can use that time and think more. I didn't hear a word my interviewers said when I asked them questions because I just wanted to stall time. Moral of the story, I was accepted into NOVA (just like all other applicants) so it's not as bad as one may think.........

ODhopeful said:
MAN!!!!
I remembered at NOVA my interview sucked ass because they had two ODs interviewing me and they grilled my like a hotdog on a 150 degree afternoon. :laugh:

I'm surprised they made it so tough on you, that is first horrible story I have heard from OD interviews. Everyone else, including myself, seemed to have normal interviews.

rpames said:
I'm surprised they made it so tough on you, that is first horrible story I have heard from OD interviews. Everyone else, including myself, seemed to have normal interviews.

They probably think I look stupid or something and just wanted to give me a hard time

ODhopeful said:
They probably think I look stupid or something and just wanted to give me a hard time

I'm sure that was it, where you wearing one of those tuxedo t-shirts? :laugh:

All my interviews were pretty easy...the only stumper question I had was at UCBSO. I don't remember what it was now, but i remember it took me awhile to think of an answer.

From what I have been told by interviewers from OD and MD/DO school, is that those thinker questions are there for one reason, to see if you can think on your feet. They are not looking for the correct moral answer, they are just trying to see if you can formulate a coherent sentence under pressure. The don't really care what your answer is...well as long as don't sound like a jerk that is.

So basically, don't try and make your answer fit what you think they want to hear. If you are on one of the coasts, you don't have to make your answers left wing, and if you are the midwest, you don't have to come off right wing. Just answer the question with as few Umm-well's as possible and you will be fine.

I hope I get an interview this year when I re-apply. Otherwise I'll be up the $hit creek without a paddle.

RLK said:
I hope I get an interview this year when I re-apply. Otherwise I'll be up the $hit creek without a paddle.

where are you applying... ?