Optometry Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

How many shadowing hours did you guys do? Does it look bad to primarily have them in the summer? I live on campus without a car so it's really hard to shadow during the year. Do you think summers will suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters when you shadow... As long as you shadow. Admission committee wants you to know what career you are getting yourself into. They want you to be knowledgeable about the profession and after knowing everything about it and what the daily routine is like, that you still want to be an optometrist. (Those last 2 sentences was probably very bad grammar but you know what I mean lol)

I think most schools look for about 40 hours of shadowing.

Also, make sure you build a good enough relationship with at least one optometrist that they will be willing to write you a golden recommendation letter.

Yea I agree it doesn't matter when you shadow. It isn't like school where classes could be easier during the summer. It is their career, it won't be any different during the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is a specific set limit (maybe some schools). I think they like to see 20-30+ hours or maybe that you've shadowed in all possible areas of Optometry so you know what you are getting into. I have 30+ hours, but a lot of that is with one optometrist I go back to on a monthly basis to learn more about the field (not just the exams itself). I would just make sure you know WHY you want to go into Optometry and that you have exposed yourself to all areas private, commercial, surgical, etc.

I got all my shadowing hours the summer of taking my OAT right before senior year, lol. I did 50 hours I think.