Optometry Specialties?

Started by Neil45
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neil45

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there is one for geriatics(sp?), which I think is treating seniors. Are there any other specialties related to optometry? If so, how many years does it take to become a specialty? Are the salary usually higher than those of general optometrist(not to sound greedy, just curious)? Do a lot of graduates focus on specialty? Or is it just a waste of time?
 
Neil45 said:
I know there is one for geriatics(sp?), which I think is treating seniors. Are there any other specialties related to optometry? If so, how many years does it take to become a specialty? Are the salary usually higher than those of general optometrist(not to sound greedy, just curious)? Do a lot of graduates focus on specialty? Or is it just a waste of time?
Sure ..lots of them
Vision science, peds, sports vision, low vision, Vision Therapy, etc.
You be exposed to all at school. A residency is not necessary..but if you want extra credibility or wish to be associated with a hospital or university them I do recommend some residency upon graduation for Opto school...so 4 yrs undergrad, 4 grad school, and 1-3 yrs in residency programs.
good luck
 
Neil45 said:
I know there is one for geriatics(sp?), which I think is treating seniors. Are there any other specialties related to optometry? If so, how many years does it take to become a specialty? Are the salary usually higher than those of general optometrist(not to sound greedy, just curious)? Do a lot of graduates focus on specialty? Or is it just a waste of time?

Neil,

There are "specialties", but not in the same recognized sense as in medicine. In medicine, if you do a residency to become a specialist, such as an ophthalmologist. Then you can do a fellowship to become a subspecialist, such as a cornea or retina fellowship.

To specialize in optometry, you simply call yourself a specialist and start doing that specialty. You can do a residency in that specialty, but it's not necessary. I do mostly ocular disease, but I never did a primary care or disease residency at the VA or Bascom Palmer. I just did it.

The salaries are not really any higher based on your "specialty" or whether you did a residency. They should be helpful in academia or at the VA.

There is some talk in the profession about having a formal process of attaining a specialty. For instance, the American Academy of Optometry has eight sections which correspond to specialties. Sometime in the future, you might be able to attain a formal specialist status through the AAO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
drmhyde said:
Sure ..lots of them
Vision science, peds, sports vision, low vision, Vision Therapy, etc.
You be exposed to all at school. A residency is not necessary..but if you want extra credibility or wish to be associated with a hospital or university them I do recommend some residency upon graduation for Opto school...so 4 yrs undergrad, 4 grad school, and 1-3 yrs in residency programs.
good luck

I thought a residency was only 1 year for Optometry? Are there some that are longer?
 
Hines302 said:
I thought a residency was only 1 year for Optometry? Are there some that are longer?

yes,and there are also post residency fellowships. I think now there is an OD residency matching service you use which also tells you what's available.