Optometry vs. pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

funnyshoes84

ucla bruin
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have been focusing on applying to pharmacy school for Fall 2006 but recently I've become really interested in optometry as a profession; however, I have no experience with optometry and still need to take the OATs if I'm going to apply next year. I was wondering if I should volunteer at an optometrists office to gain more experience, but I really don't have a lot of time to do so. Can anyone give me insight into why they like optometry?? Thanks!
 
funnyshoes84 said:
Hi, I have been focusing on applying to pharmacy school for Fall 2006 but recently I've become really interested in optometry as a profession; however, I have no experience with optometry and still need to take the OATs if I'm going to apply next year. I was wondering if I should volunteer at an optometrists office to gain more experience, but I really don't have a lot of time to do so. Can anyone give me insight into why they like optometry?? Thanks!

You have the same situation as mine. I didnt want to take OAT, so I decided to go for Pharmacy and found out that pharmacy is very competitive. A lot of people are going for pharmacy. Then I checked out Optometry, and I got really interested in it. So i took the OAT and stuffs. I think the best way to know good things about Optometry is shadowing an OD. I think you can give time an hour a week. Cant you? Plus you need to do some shadowing because you will need a recommendation letter from an Optometrist if u are gonna apply for optometry schools
Good luck
 
funnyshoes84 said:
Hi, I have been focusing on applying to pharmacy school for Fall 2006 but recently I've become really interested in optometry as a profession; however, I have no experience with optometry and still need to take the OATs if I'm going to apply next year. I was wondering if I should volunteer at an optometrists office to gain more experience, but I really don't have a lot of time to do so. Can anyone give me insight into why they like optometry?? Thanks!

Hey,
I was in your place about year ago. I am actually the president of the pre-pharmacy club, because i know enough about it. My suggestion is get involved in a pre-optometry club and try to at least shadow an optometrist for a few days. I also volunteer with Prevent Blindness. But to learn more about optometry I just mainly used the links form www.opted.org and then visited websites like for American Optometry Association and the Texas Optometry Association and read all the information about the schools I could find. For the OAT, I would just use your old notes and the PCAT or MCAT study guide. It is very similiar to the PCAT, except the OAT includes physics. Good Luck, I think optometry is a much better career choice. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ppa93 said:
I didnt want to take OAT, so I decided to go for Pharmacy and found out that pharmacy is very competitive. A lot of people are going for pharmacy.
FYI -- entrance to optometry schools has become much more competitive recently, especially this year -- SUNY applicants are up 30%, for example.
 
Optometry and pharmacy have become really competitive in the last few years, but how much more competitive is pharmacy than optometry..are they about the same?