Optometry~

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone said that optometrist don't receive benefits and some may have to work multiple jobs.

Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Please expand, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't sure what the person meant, I need further information!:laugh:

Well, if you work as an independent contractor at i.e Walmart then you won't b/c you're not an employee of that company..you're jut renting out a space. If you work at Lenscrafters then you will. If you chose to work multiple jobs then you can otherwise find a full-time job.

So what about your own private practice?

So what about your own private practice?

then you have to pay for your own benefits.... just like an independent contractor at Walmart or lenscrafters etc.

the only place you will ever get a benefits package is if you work in military, Vetrans Affairs, HMO, for an ophthalmologist, for another OD that actually employs you (rare) vs. independent contractor, for a school. That's prob. about it.

Well, if you work as an independent contractor at i.e Walmart then you won't b/c you're not an employee of that company..you're jut renting out a space. If you work at Lenscrafters then you will. If you chose to work multiple jobs then you can otherwise find a full-time job.

Not true, because you don't work FOR Lenscrafters you rent space. There are only a few states where you're allowed to be employed by a corporation and would get benefits. most places, you're independent contacting or self-employed. Either way, you're on your own for benefits.

Therefore: no paid vacation, no medical/dental , but you've got vision covered :thumbup:

Not true, because you don't work FOR Lenscrafters you rent space. There are only a few states where you're allowed to be employed by a corporation and would get benefits. most places, you're independent contacting or self-employed. Either way, you're on your own for benefits.

Therefore: no paid vacation, no medical/dental , but you've got vision covered :thumbup:

An optometrist I know personally works for Lenscrafters and she gets full benefits...this is in CA btw. If you're employed by an ophthalmology group, you will most likely get benefits.

An optometrist I know personally works for Lenscrafters and she gets full benefits...this is in CA btw. If you're employed by an ophthalmology group, you will most likely get benefits.

Actually, you friend probably works for the bogus HMO, Eye Exam of California, owned by Lenscrafters to get around the state restriction on non-OD/MD employment of optometrists.;)

Actually, you friend probably works for the bogus HMO, Eye Exam of California, owned by Lenscrafters to get around the state restriction on non-OD/MD employment of optometrists.;)

I don't think so.

Someone said that optometrist don't receive benefits and some may have to work multiple jobs.

Is this true?

You should look into other jobs and see who gets benefits. Most of what I would say has been said. I work 4 places. Regularly at 2, fill in at 2. Luckily my main job gives me some benefits, but not all benefits are the same. Just because you get benefits doesnt mean they are worth a crap. Health insurance is expensive. Employers wont always get you on a good plan.