Optum RX MTM Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projektreverb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping for some insight from someone who has done something similar. Currently working full time 80hrs at the corner.

Got an offer for a contract job as an MTM pharmacist for Optum. 6 month contract, pay is decent. Work from home for the time being. I didn’t really get a clear answer for how often these positions become full time but based on what I’ve seen the job seems nice. Anyone know how often these jobs translate to FTE after the contract is up? Should I counter with a request for FT? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nowadays, the only way to get hired at a PBM with no prior managed care experience is to start off as a temp. You should definitely take it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

Hoping for some insight from someone who has done something similar. Currently working full time 80hrs at the corner.

Got an offer for a contract job as an MTM pharmacist for Optum. 6 month contract, pay is decent. Work from home for the time being. I didn’t really get a clear answer for how often these positions become full time but based on what I’ve seen the job seems nice. Anyone know how often these jobs translate to FTE after the contract is up? Should I counter with a request for FT? Any thoughts?

Hey dude - I’ve done this before. I’m on the fly but I’ll dm you details

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nowadays, the only way to get hired at a PBM with no prior managed care experience is to start off as a temp. You should definitely take it.

It just seems crazy to leave a full time position for a contract job with no benefits, especially when I'm single and the only source of income in a saturated high desired metro area. I'd like more certainty that something like this leads to FTE... The real concern is that I think the economy is headed in a crappy direction. 6 months down the line, I worry that:

A. I won't convert to FTE
B. Future employment prospects in a down economy
C. 6 months is barely enough time to settle into a job

Hey dude - I’ve done this before. I’m on the fly but I’ll dm you details

Look forward to it :)

• Love
It just seems crazy to leave a full time position for a contract job with no benefits, especially when I'm single and the only source of income in a saturated high desired metro area. I'd like more certainty that something like this leads to FTE... The real concern is that I think the economy is headed in a crappy direction. 6 months down the line, I worry that:

A. I won't convert to FTE
B. Future employment prospects in a down economy
C. 6 months is barely enough time to settle into a job

Look forward to it :)
A and B

Hey there, been a pharmacist for 6 years and did 2 years of temp/agency. I know the risk of unemployment can be frightening but i took those jobs knowing they were investments for my career. i worked for transition of care, epic integration, and cvs specialty. Did you ask WHY the position is open? Most likely if someone is on maternal leave then i would be iffy about full time offer. but if they said they are expanding the department then that would be a positive reinforcement given that you are a good candidate. if you are unable to adapt to MTM in 6 months working 40 hr weeks, then it might not be for you. but i would take the job; in the end it would be a great addition to your resume and you would stand out from most other candidates in the future.

Reactions: 4 users
My understanding of it is the opening is because of growth and not to cover leave of some sort.

Update: After talking to someone with close ties to the department, I decided to take the job.

My understanding of it is the opening is because of growth and not to cover leave of some sort.

Update: After talking to someone with close ties to the department, I decided to take the job.
Good luck - I was going to say that you need to find out if it is filling a leave or due to increased work - many people get tricked into filling a leave with no chance of extension.

FWIW my ex wife worked for them for like 6 months, I can't remember why she left (we were still married at the time) but it was a long time ago, and they were unstable at that time. But then again, she had like three jobs that only lasted 6 months, so y'all can figure out the common denominator there.

Good luck - I was going to say that you need to find out if it is filling a leave or due to increased work - many people get tricked into filling a leave with no chance of extension.

FWIW my ex wife worked for them for like 6 months, I can't remember why she left (we were still married at the time) but it was a long time ago, and they were unstable at that time. But then again, she had like three jobs that only lasted 6 months, so y'all can figure out the common denominator there.

Thank you :)

Based on what I’ve found out it seems to be due to increased work load rather than filling in for someone’s leave.

On an unrelated note, in my prepharmacist job/life, I used to participate in hiring decisions. Shouldn’t be a surprise that people with frequent short stints were not looked upon favorably lol

On an unrelated note, in my prepharmacist job/life, I used to participate in hiring decisions. Shouldn’t be a surprise that people with frequent short stints were not looked upon favorably lol

When you search on this topic online the general consensus is that you should stay at each job at least 2 years before taking another one...but that sounds too short to me. 5 years sounds better to me, especially if it's a career position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Hi. I was offered this position as well. Could you DM me? I have some questions as well now that you have been working there. I for some reason am unable to DM you

OptumRX is very cyclical. They are always hiring and laying people off. Heavily metric based.

OptumRX is very cyclical. They are always hiring and laying people off. Heavily metric based.

How different is it from metric based retail? Are the metrics at least achievable?

How different is it from metric based retail? Are the metrics at least achievable?
Yes it is but you’re constantly working, tapping away at your keyboard. I wouldn’t jump ship for a contract position and the pay back then was $105,000.

Yes it is but you’re constantly working, tapping away at your keyboard. I wouldn’t jump ship for a contract position and the pay back then was $105,000.
Can confirm. I did 2 contracts with Optum, one was very heavily metrics based and constantly on the phone or taking notes. My 2nd contract was in formulary and was hired on full time almost 10 years ago, however this job has no metrics. Still work there in that department.

Update, was extended an offer to convert to full time :)

Reactions: 3 users
cool, dude - can you work from home? I have done all of my MTMs out of my home office

WFH for now. They’re talking about returning to the office but honestly I doubt it will be a full return.

WFH for now. They’re talking about returning to the office but honestly I doubt it will be a full return.
That's wonderful. Well, as long as you are hopefully gainfully employed

Imagine a 5G no lockdowned world (ok ok, 4G is enough)

You're out in the park, in the shade, doing your work. While still young, flirting with girls, KEKW

Hi! Ive just been offered a similar temp position in their PA department. I’m full time as well currently at my retail gig I hate.

Can you give me any info? I would really apparefiate it

When you search on this topic online the general consensus is that you should stay at each job at least 2 years before taking another one...but that sounds too short to me. 5 years sounds better to me, especially if it's a career position.
I disagree. The best way to increase your income is to switch jobs, WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A JOB. I would stay at a job 6 months to 1 year at most till you switch enough to your wanted income / environment.

That's wonderful. Well, as long as you are hopefully gainfully employed

Imagine a 5G no lockdowned world (ok ok, 4G is enough)

You're out in the park, in the shade, doing your work. While still young, flirting with girls, KEKW
Not to ruin the fantasy, but your boss might not appreciate you working with PHI in public.

Hey all,

Hi, can you PM me with the details of your contract job that converted to FT? I am in the same boat please. thank you