OptumRX/UHC Prior Auth temp pharmacist job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xpanicked

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I currently have a FT job as a grocery chain. It’s a great company and honesty the best retail job I’ll ever have. However, I hate retail. I don’t want to be doing this forever.

Ive been extended the offer for a temp PA pharmacist position through UHC/optum. Position is to last from September to May.

does anyone have any info on the conversion rate to FT afterwards? Any information on working the temp job?

Any advice? I still have 145k left in loans but truly don’t want to be doing retail anymore…

Members don't see this ad.

Normally I would say go for it but your student loan balance complicates the situation. What is your plan B if you don't get extended to FT after the contact is up?

Normally I would say go for it but your student loan balance complicates the situation. What is your plan B if you don't get extended to FT after the contact is up?

Student loans really are not much of a burden at all. In the past 5 years I have spent 14.5k paying back my student loans and I have 160k left on mine. I have 12 more years of payment and I get first round of forgiveness. I pay as little as absolutely possible. If BM was still here he would frantically reply with something about a tax bomb and how I am not able to buy a home - whatever…..

My investment income in the past 5 years has been 118k in gains. The money that I used investing is partially from money that I saved from following the terms stated in my IBR plan. My student loans are on the furthest back burner I can find - like 6 rows back behind everything else.

Don’t let your student loans dictate your future. This is a capitalist economy - capitalize on the opportunities you have in front of you and do t fall for the mooshy gooshy “but you borrowed you are morally obligated to xxxxxxx”. No other entity participating in this economy will give you the same respect unless the legal battle to fight you would be more than the payout.

just do what you want. The rate of full time conversion has nothing to do with if you will find full time employment. You need to get hired, whoop some ass, and develope relationships that matter. Then you may find FT status

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Student loans really are not much of a burden at all. In the past 5 years I have spent 14.5k paying back my student loans and I have 160k left on mine. I have 12 more years of payment and I get first round of forgiveness. I pay as little as absolutely possible. If BM was still here he would frantically reply with something about a tax bomb and how I am not able to buy a home - whatever…..

My investment income in the past 5 years has been 118k in gains. The money that I used investing is partially from money that I saved from following the terms stated in my IBR plan. My student loans are on the furthest back burner I can find - like 6 rows back behind everything else.

Don’t let your student loans dictate your future. This is a capitalist economy - capitalize on the opportunities you have in front of you and do t fall for the mooshy gooshy “but you borrowed you are morally obligated to xxxxxxx”. No other entity participating in this economy will give you the same respect unless the legal battle to fight you would be more than the payout.

just do what you want. The rate of full time conversion has nothing to do with if you will find full time employment. You need to get hired, whoop some ass, and develope relationships that matter. Then you may find FT status
I took a different route, but I actually totally agree with you here. I'm sort of an all or nothing person so I blasted through student loans first, but I don't agree that it's the best choice.

Reactions: 1 user
For some reason I can’t message you. But had it not been for your student loans, I would say go for it…. How long is the contract? Did you ask why they are hiring?

My investment income in the past 5 years has been 118k in gains. My student loans are on the furthest back burner I can find - like 6 rows back behind everything else.

For some reason I can’t message you. But had it not been for your student loans, I would say go for it…. How long is the contract? Did you ask why they are hiring?
Very strange @projektreverb it won’t let me message you I’ve tried multiple times lmao.
Anyways basically it’s a seasonal contract position due to open enrollment. They do it every year. It supposedly is to last from sept-may but they could end it at anytime

Did you ask about the possibility of conversion to full time?

Did you ask about the possibility of conversion to full time?
They said it was a possibility but I gathered from a few other sources it’s very hit or miss. Sometimes they only hire 1 or 2 people out of 20. Sometimes they have people doing the stunt up to 3 times without ever being hired. Just is too wishy washy considering I have an ok job currently

I’m going to be honest, I don’t know if I’d take that.

I say you should take that if you want to get out of retail. Worst scenario, you can always come back and float for your retail chain (or any retail chain).

OP, did you take the job? I'm in the same boat and am wondering. It's been hard to get into Prior Auth without the experience

Hi guys, I’ve been offered the same position. On the other side I have an option for full time retail job. I’m very new at the Pharma market. Any smart advice please from people with experience. Optum Rx offers 6 months contract as a Prior Authorization pharmacist vs full time PIC?! Help please!

So I currently have a FT job as a grocery chain. It’s a great company and honesty the best retail job I’ll ever have. However, I hate retail. I don’t want to be doing this forever.

Ive been extended the offer for a temp PA pharmacist position through UHC/optum. Position is to last from September to May.

does anyone have any info on the conversion rate to FT afterwards? Any information on working the temp job?

Any advice? I still have 145k left in loans but truly don’t want to be doing retail anymore…
Hi I recently just left my grocery retail job for optumrx. How are you liking it? Any advice?

Hi guys, I’ve been offered the same position. On the other side I have an option for full time retail job. I’m very new at the Pharma market. Any smart advice please from people with experience. Optum Rx offers 6 months contract as a Prior Authorization pharmacist vs full time PIC?! Help please!
Sorry, I'm a little late for this year.

They ramp up for January every year. Sometimes it's busier than expected and sometimes it isn't. But it pretty much always dies off by March. One year my location brought on 50 temps and one ended up getting a permanent job out of it. I'd say it puts you in a better position for when there's a posting for a permanent position, but I would not count on this turning into something long term.