Optyl vs Zyl

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Can some of you in school (or in practice) just list again the differences between these two materials?
Off the top of my head...

Zyl frames (cellulose acetate right?) typically has the metal wiring in the frame, optyl does not.

Optyl is transulent, zyl can be opaque.

Zyl is cheaper than optyl I think.

I believe you should not use a bead bath to heat/adjust one of these two frames. Which one is it and why not?

Please comment on the above (did I get them right?) and if you can, please list any other differences.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Optyl keeps its finish longer and also has memory. It is often difficult to adjust the frame.

Yes, when people say zyl they're referring to cellulose acetate.

As far as sand bath goes, I have never heard anything either way. It is widely used for zyl frames. It should be okay for optyl as well. However with optyl you want to make sure you only heat the SPECIFIC part that needs to be adjusted due to optyl's thermoelastic properties. A blower with cone would be more appropriate.

Cellulose acetate is more porous so more people complain about being allergic to zyl.

Optyl is 30% lighter than zyl.

Optyl does not shrink, an important consideration when cutting lenses.

There's probably more I am forgetting too. Did you need to know anything specific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. That's basically enough. I had to just address a few points on the differences in an overview talk I had to give.

>Optyl does not shrink, an important consideration when cutting lenses.

What does it mean that zyl can therefore "shrink". Are you just talking about the softness?

Thanks. That's basically enough. I had to just address a few points on the differences in an overview talk I had to give.

>Optyl does not shrink, an important consideration when cutting lenses.

What does it mean that zyl can therefore "shrink". Are you just talking about the softness?

With zyl, they can cut the lenses a little bit smaller, because upon heating the frame (then cooling) the frame will shrink and the lens will stay put. With optyl, they must cut it at almost a perfect size, because optyl frames will not get smaller. It does expand under a lot of heat, but when air cooled it will only return to it's original size.

I believe thats the case, don't quote me on it. I can check with our labbie on monday, I'm just a dispensing optician.

Anyone know the name for the circular part in a hand edger that actually edges the lens?

Image here:
NH.jpg