Oragnic in the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good/bad of an idea is it to take Organic in the summer. I'm taking my MCAT next year so I want to have Organic done with completely before I take the MCAT. I"m taking Physics and Vertebrate Physiology fall semester and physics and genetics in the spring. So what do you think-- summer or no summer for O.Chem?

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid it if at all possible because AdComs have a serious problem with summer premed courses. Are you taking the vertebrate physiology class as a substitute for your intro bio class? If yes, then I guess you'll have to either take Orgo in the summer or move your MCAT date back a year. If not, then take Orgo in its place.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

I referenced this in another discussion, but I took organic chemistry over the summer. I enjoyed taking it as a summer course because I had more time to focus on one subject and I did not need to balance it with other courses. I don't think that the AdComs viewed the fact that I took orgo over the summer negatively (at least it hasn't been mentioned in any interviews). However, I was taking the course as a post-bacc student. Maybe if you are still in undergrad it's different.

[This message has been edited by Hallie (edited 02-01-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do it during the summer, the AdComs will expect an "A" since you will be dedicated to just that one class. If you are comfortable with that then have fun storming the O'Chem castle.

I enjoyed taking Organic during the summer. It was pretty intense...3 labs per week, 2.5 hours of lecture every day for a full 10 weeks and only two days off for July 4th. I think if you mix this in with other good activities over the summer (i.e., working, volunteer stuff, etc.) it should look great to an admissions committee.

I also agree (see other post). Summer orgo was NEVER mentioned during interviews. Just make sure you take it at program that is reputable. That means at a full fledged college, not a community college. Mine was at the Capital University Summer Sciences Program, where I also took physics II post-bac. I highly recommend the program for anybody in the Ohio area!

Incidentally, almost every person in the summer science courses was premed. The rest were pre-dent! That should tell you something.

Mango MS-1

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited 02-01-2001).]

Does anyone know for sure if it looks bad to ADCOMS if you take orgo in the summer as an undergrad pre-med?

Thanks!

The interview at most med schools is a free-for-all and not all interviewers will cover the same points on an applicant's profile. In fact most interviews are for getting an idea of the applicant's personality. The review of an applicant's academic qualifications occurs during a committee meeting where those involved can be more thorough.

Summer premed courses are red flags on your application and have traditionally been seen as easier than the regular semester courses. Something's invariably left out of summer courses in the interest of time.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Wow, I had no idea! I took all of my physics over the summers! Oops!

Every question has a context.

If you are taking it at your home college, and your grades are up there, then summer organic will not be questioned.
If you take it at another, equally strong college, same as above.

If you take it at what may be perceived as a weaker school, a community college for instance, you had better get an A.

Some students thrive on an intensive course
taken over a short time. Others go down the tubes. You have to realistically assess your style. If you think it may be too risky, don't. Getting into medical school is far more important than how fast you get there.

You could also argue that taking organic over the summer is MORE challenging, due to the fast pace. If you fall behind you could be in big trouble. So it's not clear to me why taking orgo over the summer would be looked down upon by AdComs, provided that you take the course at a university that has a reputation better than or similar to your home university. I took most of my pre-meds as a post-bacc. To save money, I took as many as possible at a local state university (that fact has come up in several interviews, and my interviewers all agreed with my rationale). Furthermore, I called the Harvard Med Admissions Committee before starting all of this and they said - as a post-bacc - that taking classes at a state school to save money was totally fine. That said, I did opt to take orgo at a more prestigious institution (that happened to be private) to prove to myself (more than to AdComs) that I could do well there. To tell you the truth, my interviewer at Yale questioned my decision to take the class at the private school because it cost so much money!
Good luck with your decision. Do what works best with your schedule, work hard, and be prepared to explain your decision-making process to an interviewer. I think whichever option you choose will work out well!

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my school doesn't have the shortened, condensed summer terms. The summer term is the same length as the spring and fall terms, and classes are the same amount of time. So if you go to a major university which does this, taking orgo in the summer is no different than if you took it in spring or fall.

I have to agree with Hallie and say that Orgo during the summer should be ADMIRED by the adcom's, not frowned on (provided you make an A). Personally, I took all of my chemistry courses during the regular semesters because I was too scared to attempt the summer versions!

I'm also starting to wonder JUST how important Chemistry is in the scheme of the application process (as opposed to overall GPA). I made two C's (a C & a C+, actually) in Orgo because my general Chem was weak as well (never finished high school, so I had NO chemistry background when I came to college) yet they have NEVER been brought up in my interviews. I've been waiting for someone to ask me about them, because frankly, they are the ONLY splotchs on my transcript...but no one has.

Ultimately, the choice is yours to make and I REALLY don't think the adcoms care WHEN you take the classes...just that you do well in them. The question is really whether or not you can handle the summer courseload.

Thanks for all your advice! I think I'm going to take OCHEM in the summer...

I took Organic Chemistry I and II over the summer. I finished BOTH semesters in 8 weeks (compared to 30 weeks at my undergraduate school).

As far as the MCAT is concerned, I found my Organic Chemistry background to be foundational. In any case, I do not think there is any need to memorize every organic mechanism or synthesis to do well on the MCAT. General concepts -- reviewed in summer courses + MCAT preparation -- will prepare you well.

Together

Im also contemplating taking Orgo this summer. I would be taking both Orgo I and Orgo II. Its 3 hours of Orgo a day every day M-F. the first 5 weeks is Orgo I and the second 5 weeks is Orgo II. It will be my only class and there will be no lab. Am I shooting myself in the foot by doing that. What do you guys think??