Oral Board Prep Books

Started by Amadeus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Amadeus

Member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to all those who passed the written exam. It's hard to figure out how to study for the oral boards. Anyone have some recommendations for books/classes? Also what are your thoughts on which exam date to take. Happy intubations!
 
Congrats to you, fellow written board survivor.

I have heard that Yao and Artusio is excellent along with the Board Stiff Too book. I have used both to supplement studying for the written boards and I can see how both will be excellent for the orals.

Michael Ho has a big book that covers orals extensively, but its pricey and kind of like Jensen's oral board review course. I don't plan to spend any money on oral board review courses, so I'm going to go with the two books above and use a review book to cover basic topics again.

Good luck and let's hear something from Jet and Military, you freeloaders.
 
I concur with the Michael Ho review book.
Oral Board review courses can be a waste of time if you are comfortable speaking in front of people. But if you have trouble concentrating with someone grilling you then the course may be beneficial. I began my private practice and was swamped. I soon found out that I was not able to study like I would have liked. I signed up for a review course and after a day of sitting in the auditorium I realized that I was well prepared or at least more prepared than almost everyone in there. Partly because of the job that I started with right out of residency (very busy, doing all types of cases) and partly because of my residency program. Just remember this, You passed the writtens so you know the material. Now you just have to regurgitate it to some people who also knows the material. Personally, I thought it was not all that bad and my examiners were friendly mostly. I'm sure if you start to stumble too much they will slaughter you. Just not my experience.
Good Luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UT, do you mean to tell me that your residency program didn't do mock orals the whole time that you were there?
While I have no doubt that you will do fine on the Orals, I just want to make a point as to how important it is that your residency has a "mock oral" type of testing program to prepare its residents for the Orals. I was in a residency with board examiners and in the community there were other retired board examiners that tested us on a "oral board format" throughout residency. It made a difference!
 
Noyac said:
UT, do you mean to tell me that your residency program didn't do mock orals the whole time that you were there?
While I have no doubt that you will do fine on the Orals, I just want to make a point as to how important it is that your residency has a "mock oral" type of testing program to prepare its residents for the Orals. I was in a residency with board examiners and in the community there were other retired board examiners that tested us on a "oral board format" throughout residency. It made a difference!

Quite the opposite: We have 4 mock orals a year, however by next April, it will have been 9 months since I had done a mock oral. Practice makes perfect and after having done a total of 10 mock orals, I know which profs will challenge me the most and those are the ones I want to continue to grill me and challenge me before the real ones in April.
 
UTSouthwestern said:
Quite the opposite: We have 4 mock orals a year, however by next April, it will have been 9 months since I had done a mock oral. Practice makes perfect and after having done a total of 10 mock orals, I know which profs will challenge me the most and those are the ones I want to continue to grill me and challenge me before the real ones in April.

Great, I think it is a great resource (mock orals) for residents to prepare for their orals. What I was getting at mostly is the fact that some programs out there are not offering mock orals to their residents and that is a great disservice.
Good Luck and like I said, You'll do great.
 
Quick question. Are oral boards a one-time exam, or do you have to recertify every 7 years like the written?

Thank you.



Random comment: Vent's new avitar gives me the creeps. :scared: