Oral boards question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OphthoApplicant04

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like every review has a somewhat different format... to be sure, are we allowed to start by describing the vignette and then listing a differential, or are we supposed to do it like a SOAP note? (ie history, exam, differential)
 
SOAP note. The most common mistake people make is listing diagnoses first.

I disagree. Listing the differential first thing after describing the photo is fine, and in my opinion, more helpful in terms of focusing my history, exam, and work up.
 
I found that they would show me the picture and then just let me talk. Sometimes they would ask me questions, so I would include natural pauses during my schpiel to make it easy for them to interrupt. But a lot of the time, they would show the photo and then not say anything unless I was failing to say some important point.

I took the Osler course, they told us NOT to just prattle off a bunch of differentials and a bunch of lab findings/tests willy-nilly. I mean, always get a refraction on cataracts, always check CRx and EOMs on kids, but otherwise, it's a waste of time to say, 'I would check extraocular movements, making sure the eyes were ortho in all directions and that there was no deviation' if they give you, say, a 56-year-old on Coumadin coming in with an atraumatic subconj hemorrhage. Also, don't drag yourself down the rabbit hole of 'differential diagnosis includes epi/scleritis [for red eye].' Keep it focused, keep it efficient.

I would see a photo of, say, a pterygium and say, 'This is an external photo showing a triangular conjunctival lesion extending over the cornea. My most likely diagnosis is a pterygium; it could also be an ocular surface squamous neoplasia. I'd ask the patient if they had any complaints of decreased vision, scratchiness, or foreign body sensation. I would check the patient's refraction and BCVA, perform a complete dilated eye exam and check whether this lesion were in or close to the visual axis, and obtain topography to see whether this was inducing corneal astigmatism. I would look for flattening under the lesion and irregular astigmatism. If the patient had a lot of ocular surface complaints, if the lesion were inducing a lot of corneal astigmatism, or if the lesion was in or threatening the visual axis, then I would consider excision. If none of those were present, then this patient could be safely observed with regular followup every 6 months.'