Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms.beth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No recent oral board posts.

As those who have passed, is a review course necessary? My program did few simulated cases.

Any course better than others or are the essentially all the same?
I am interested in the PA-ACEP course based on location and dates but can't find any reviews on it.

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary? Probably not for everyone. They are expensive and they might not be near where you live.

That being said, I took a review course for the Orals (SAAEM) and absolutely loved it! I did not study before the course; after taking the course I didn't feel I needed to study. I passed, btw.

Again, it isn't for everyone. My residency did the mock orals every month or so, but it was definitely not the same. It was laid back and there was a lot of coaching. I personally felt that the review course was there to show me where my weaknesses were, not to get me to the right disposition. Does that make sense?

In summary, I would recommend a review course...

I recommend a review course for the Oral boards. Most places give you CME money and it can be used. They vary from really expensive (2 day course) to less (1 day). I took a one day course and was more than prepared.

It is not the content of the oral boards that is difficult. It is the akward format. The course doesn't so much as teach you content as to teach you a solid system of how to deal with the oral boards, pitfalls to avoid, and a forum to practice a number of times so that when you go you are more comfortable and know what to watch out for.

So, I would recommend taking one.

I'm a paranoid person. I bought the Rivers Review Books and CD's. A colleague and I got together and practiced together. I also did the Pennsylvania ACEP's course in Vegas. I think if I hadn't read the River's Review course, that the practice sessions wouldn't have been as useful. If I hadn't practiced with a colleague, the ACEP course wouldn't have helped me as much. I passed and so did my colleague.

The oral board course does provide you with CME, and I have $5,000 of professional reimbursement through work, so it is a no lose situation. I highly recommend, above all, to practice with fellow doctors who are also preparing. I think the oral board review course a week or so before the test really gets your confidence up and provides a great prep on how to play the game.

It really is just a big game, just like most of our rather inefficient education. I don't have a better idea of what it should be like, other than not requiring 4 years of wasted undergraduate time. I just bemoan the amount of hoop jumping that I have undergone in the past 12 years. Jump high! Here comes another one. Jan is jumping higher than you! John looks much better with his form! Higher! Side-step the next one!