oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasgas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
freaking out about oral boards. anyone else in the same boat? new to private practice, no time to study, even less time to practice. any tips for ones who have been there & done that?

Members don't see this ad.

This may sound trite but I think it's true. Don't over think it; explain what you would actually do not what you think they want to hear. Make sure you can defend your reasoning effectively and concisely. You don't need to quote studies. Imagine the questions were coming from a surgeon or nurse who is just looking for a basic explanation that makes sense. Then you will be fine. There are many many ways you can proceed and you can expect complications from whatever you choose.

Some practice exams help there are lots on the web.

This may sound trite but I think it's true. Don't over think it; explain what you would actually do not what you think they want to hear. Make sure you can defend your reasoning effectively and concisely. You don't need to quote studies. Imagine the questions were coming from a surgeon or nurse who is just looking for a basic explanation that makes sense. Then you will be fine. There are many many ways you can proceed and you can expect complications from whatever you choose.

This approach excellent.Know why a certain action would be correct or incorrect. Be able to defend your answer. An action is either reasonable or unreasonable.

Cambie

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to freaking out. It will motivate you to study and practice. Consider taking a course as early as possible, because it will get you practicing the right way early on. There is no downside to over studying. The downside of under studying is a whole extra year of studying for the retest.

freaking out about oral boards. anyone else in the same boat? new to private practice, no time to study, even less time to practice. any tips for ones who have been there & done that?

Rembember that there is not a right or wrong answer to many of their questions as long as your answer is reasonable. Dont try to figure out the "right" answer, rather pick a reasonable course of action and stick to your guns.

Just about every answer should have a 'because' in it.

Have you looked through Yao and Artusio? The style of that book - I would do such-and-such because of such-and-such - is very compatible with oral boards.

This.

Especially the part about acting like you are explaining your plan to a surgeon or IM doc.

Also, a speech teacher, long ago, told me that you look only 1/8th as nervous as you feel.

do a lot of mock exams. there r online courses u can use to skype and simulate the exam experience. there's just oral boards.com and i think some others that offer it