Oral case presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a terribaddie at this, but 1 question I have about the proper format concerns two things:

1. What does "transfer status" mean? It is listed as one of the things under "HPI" on this document:
https://catalyst.uw.edu/workspace/medsp/30311/202905

2. Review of Systems
Some guidelines say to present the pertinent/relevant ROS in the HPI part of the oral presentation, and then do not present a complete ROS later on. I.e. with acute stroke, don't tell the attending stuff like "patient denies flank pain, dysuria, hematura," etc. etc. (like you would go through each system).
Is this your experience? Or are attendings/residents making you go through every segment of the ROS?

Members don't see this ad.

#1 is explained in the link you provide if you actually read it
"4. Prior workup to date (e.g., if the patient is transferred from another hospital), and status on transfer." e.g. - 36yo Caucasian male presented to ESJH with tbi and multiple fx including.... s/p MVA and transferred to UCH for further neurocog workup and treatment. Upon transfer patient is a Rancho 4-5. Fx's stabilized at ESJH ED, ortho consult pending, no sxs of active bleeding upon exam.

I just made that all up, but it's a brief summary of the patients status upon transfer.

#2 is irrelevant because it's not what other peoples attending's like it's what your residents and attending's like. If you read enough H&P's you'll notice people doing it both ways, ROS in the HPI and for ROS they will say something like "unremarkable other than as noted above/in HPI", and others will list a full ROS. If this is your first presentation, you'll get a lot more important feedback then whether or not to say the full ROS, focus on things like constructing a solid HPI and learning what is important and how to say it concisely, not in a novel. One attending gave me great advice and told me "the first sentence should paint me a basic but clear picture of the patient".
From there focus on developing your A&P. If you're just starting getting this all right and actually remembering it vs stumbling through it will give you more than enough to work on.

It's really all about flow and skip the fluff.

Last edited: