Oral presentation vs moderated poster session

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted an abstract to a conference which was accepted as a moderated poster presentation. It seems like this involves a recorded presentation that will be played during the conference. I am not sure if this is a new thing conferences are doing for COVID, but on a CV would this go under poster presentation, oral presentation, or as its own section? How about for ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted an abstract to a conference which was accepted as a moderated poster presentation. It seems like this involves a recorded presentation that will be played during the conference. I am not sure if this is a new thing conferences are doing for COVID, but on a CV would this go under poster presentation, oral presentation, or as its own section? How about for ERAS?
Sounds like probably oral presentation, but just clarify with the conference exactly what is happening.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be a poster presentation. List it as what format it is accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just an incoming MS1, but having done a few moderated poster presentations myself - alongside podium and poster presentations -, I would list it as an oral presentation as normally (pre-COVID) you would be giving a 3-4 min oral speech with a 1-3 slide PowerPoint presentation in the background (an actual paper poster is not used as the visual aid). This is followed by a 1-2 min Q/A from a live audience, while being “moderated” by an actual judge/referee. It's one of those gray zones where it's between a poster and podium presentation, but I think it leans more on the oral side, given that it is a time-restricted/slotted presentation. It’s basically like a mini podium presentation in format from what I’ve experienced in pre-Covid times. But do check with the conference's logistics regarding the presentation. Congrats!

Last edited:
I'm just an incoming MS1, but having done a few moderated poster presentations myself - alongside podium and poster presentations -, I would list it as an oral presentation as normally (pre-COVID) you would be giving a 3-4 min oral speech with a 1-3 slide ppt presentation playing in the background. This is followed by a 1-2 min Q/A from the audience. It's one of those gray zones where it's between a poster and podium presentation, but I think it leans more on the oral side, given that it is a time-restricted/slotted presentation. But do check with the conference's logistics regarding the presentation. Congrats!
This was the basis of my response. But like I said, it's hard to know since conferences are so different in the age of COVID.

This is a poster presentation. The idea with a poster presentation is that you're standing by your poster and giving a short description to anyone who walks up. They are trying to replicate this in the virtual format.

The oral (platform) presentations are more widely attended and have a more moderated Q&A session.

I had a separate abstract submitted to this conference that was later accepted as just a poster (not as part of a moderated session). So it is a little different, I think like the other posters are saying it is somewhere between a poster and an oral presentation but due to the use of slides and extended time to talk about the results it probably is more similar to an oral presentation. Guess I’ll put it in the oral presentations part of my CV and just specify

Moderated poster is done different ways by different conferences. My experience had been that you still make a poster and have a normal poster session, but also do a 1-2 mins couple slide talk before or after the poster session. Hence, moderated poster. It gets people a bit of info about your project regardless of if they actually stopped by your poster.

Despite being up at the podium, you list this as a poster because that’s how it was accepted. In virtual times, you still list it as a poster because that’s how it was accepted (even though it’s essentially just a short oral due to virtual format).

Other than inflating ERAS research count, how much do presentations and posters really matter? The priority order is papers > presentations > posters, but honestly covid and virtual conferences kinda killed the vibe so i'm not sure if there's really any penalty in not presenting anywhere and just focus on publishing?

Other than inflating ERAS research count, how much do presentations and posters really matter? The priority order is papers > presentations > posters, but honestly covid and virtual conferences kinda killed the vibe so i'm not sure if there's really any penalty in not presenting anywhere and just focus on publishing?
Well most national conferences have moved over in the way of virtual abstract presentations where you can "be available" during a particular session. So it still counts in a sense.

Moderated poster is done different ways by different conferences. My experience had been that you still make a poster and have a normal poster session, but also do a 1-2 mins couple slide talk before or after the poster session. Hence, moderated poster. It gets people a bit of info about your project regardless of if they actually stopped by your poster.

Despite being up at the podium, you list this as a poster because that’s how it was accepted. In virtual times, you still list it as a poster because that’s how it was accepted (even though it’s essentially just a short oral due to virtual format).
+1. In the virtual world these days poster sessions have become almost identical to a podium oral presentation in terms of preparation, but please still list it as a poster if it's accepted that way.

In the overall critique of your CV, posters and presentations don't really matter. But they are a way of demonstrating that you're doing something if you go a period of time without a manuscript (or don't have a manuscript on your CV yet). It can also serve to give you some feedback for when you do start to write the manuscript, or disseminate your ideas if your work is not necessarily robust enough for a full manuscript (yet).

I have approximately 5 projects ongoing right now. One is in the final stages of the manuscript submission process (we've sent revisions and are awaiting the decision), one is in the early stages of the manuscript submission process (getting all the authors to agree on the manuscript before it's submitted), two are in the manuscript preparation phase (data analysis complete, trying to figure out how to frame the results), and one is in the data analysis phase. Having poster presentations for some of these indicates to others that I'm doing work, I just haven't gotten it accepted as a manuscript yet.

So, no, no penalty in not presenting as long as something comes out of the project.

In the overall critique of your CV, posters and presentations don't really matter. But they are a way of demonstrating that you're doing something if you go a period of time without a manuscript (or don't have a manuscript on your CV yet). It can also serve to give you some feedback for when you do start to write the manuscript, or disseminate your ideas if your work is not necessarily robust enough for a full manuscript (yet).

I have approximately 5 projects ongoing right now. One is in the final stages of the manuscript submission process (we've sent revisions and are awaiting the decision), one is in the early stages of the manuscript submission process (getting all the authors to agree on the manuscript before it's submitted), two are in the manuscript preparation phase (data analysis complete, trying to figure out how to frame the results), and one is in the data analysis phase. Having poster presentations for some of these indicates to others that I'm doing work, I just haven't gotten it accepted as a manuscript yet.

So, no, no penalty in not presenting as long as something comes out of the project.

Thanks, that's what i was thinking. Conferences for me have their value in networking. Once conferences stop being virtual and go back to normal, i'll plan on attending them