Oral presentation - future date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flamingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS won't let you enter publications for future dates. What do you do if you have an abstract accepted for an oral presentation (or poster) at an annual meeting that won't happen until this Fall? I want to include this oral presentation under publications, but I can't enter it with the date I'm actually going to present it (11/2009).

Members don't see this ad.

OP- I had the same problem. It's a trick. Change the date and time setting on your PC to 2010. So it be, 08/27/2010 instead of 2009. It is a default of your computer not ERAS...

G'luck

OP- I had the same problem. It's a trick. Change the date and time setting on your PC to 2010. So it be, 08/27/2010 instead of 2009. It is a default of your computer not ERAS...

G'luck

Haha, I love it!! Thanks, I will try that :)

Nevermind, still didn't work! I changed my computer's date to 2010 and still can't enter an oral presentation for November 2009. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

The same problem happened to me to. A couple weeks ago I entered a presentation in October and it accepted it fine. When I tried to enter another one yesterday it wouldn't let me anymore. I wonder if this is a new ERAS thing

Nevermind, still didn't work! I changed my computer's date to 2010 and still can't enter an oral presentation for November 2009. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

Hey flamingo,

Ok, so here is what you should do:

1. Change the date and time setting. Hit apply on the date and time setting and then OK.

2. Reopen the ERAS page, don't use the same one. Enter the date and hit OK.

3. Keep the date to 2010 until after you've submitted your application. Althought I didn't do this, mine is now 2009, with a 2010 publication date...

This should really work, if not call the ERAS experts...

G'luck buddy,
A

Hey flamingo,

Ok, so here is what you should do:

1. Change the date and time setting. Hit apply on the date and time setting and then OK.

2. Reopen the ERAS page, don't use the same one. Enter the date and hit OK.

3. Keep the date to 2010 until after you've submitted your application. Althought I didn't do this, mine is now 2009, with a 2010 publication date...

This should really work, if not call the ERAS experts...

G'luck buddy,
A

I actually did call ERAS this afternoon...I was told that there is no way to list an Oral Presentation with a future date. Her advice was to put it under the "Miscellaneous" tab, sigh...

That's not true, I can say with strong certainty that the ERAS advisor is wrong! Did you follow the steps again and make absolutely sure that your date was 2010, close the ERAS page and reopen it and all?

G'luck,
A

That's not true, I can say with strong certainty that the ERAS advisor is wrong! Did you follow the steps again and make absolutely sure that your date was 2010, close the ERAS page and reopen it and all?

G'luck,
A

Thanks for trying so hard to help! I tried it a couple more times...changed computer system date/time and reopened a new ERAS page to log into...and I still get the "Publication date cannot be greater than today's date" error message.

What I DID discover just now is that you can enter future Poster Presentations, just not future Oral Presentations. (Maybe you were trying it with a poster presentation?) I'm thinking I'll just list this one as a poster, and then write "(Oral Presentation)" at the end of the title...but if anyone else has another suggestion, I am more than happy to hear it!

Thanks, folks!

Thanks for trying so hard to help! I tried it a couple more times...changed computer system date/time and reopened a new ERAS page to log into...and I still get the "Publication date cannot be greater than today's date" error message.

What I DID discover just now is that you can enter future Poster Presentations, just not future Oral Presentations. (Maybe you were trying it with a poster presentation?) I'm thinking I'll just list this one as a poster, and then write "(Oral Presentation)" at the end of the title...but if anyone else has another suggestion, I am more than happy to hear it!

Thanks, folks!

Darn'd it, I really did want that to work for you! You're right, I did mine for another field not oral presentation...Ya, do it the way you suggested, that's the best!

G'luck!

I contacted ERAS today because I am having the same issue. They said they know about the issue and are trying to fix it, but that it probably won't be done by Sep 1st but within a week from now. :scared: So your choice on what you want to do!

Bump.

Same issue. But mine aren't accepted yet.
What about as peer reviewed journal article / abstract other than published? Then enter as submitted. Does that seem miss leading? To me it seems accurate. They are submitted to various conferences for oral or poster.

Bump.

Same issue. But mine aren't accepted yet.
What about as peer reviewed journal article / abstract other than published? Then enter as submitted. Does that seem miss leading? To me it seems accurate. They are submitted to various conferences for oral or poster.

"Submitted" is fine--just be prepared to be asked about the current status during interviews. If accepted for presentation before you get an invitation to interview, email the programs where you applied to update them with the good news. The Coordinators can't change the information on the application, but they do have a field within the ERAS application where they can post comments and addendums for internal use.

Last edited: