Oral Sex Shown to Be Linked to Mouth Cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by ShawnOne

What's next?!

damn right what's next... i'll take my chances :D

Members don't see this ad :)
And risk cancer? :scared:

:laugh:

Is it just me, or does EVERYTHING cause cancer? Deordorant causes cancer, mouth wash causes cancer, and now oral sex! Whats next?

Good question dentaldream, maybe toothpaste will one day be shown to cause cancer.

oh here is one. did you guys know that the dental school admission process is cancerous?:laugh:

Is it based on the male having any disease or the ... :eek: ?

I think we're missing an important point here, and one the article doesn't explain well. To me it seems as though one needs to have oral sex with someone who has HPV. It's not as though the process of oral sex causes cancer. Not as absurd an idea as it appears.

Just so you know.... chances are, if you've had sex with at least 2 partners... you carry the virus, it's a matter of showing symptoms or not. From a health counselor I know at my university... she told me if you have sex with 2 people, you're chances of carrying HPV are 95%.... the most common STD these days. 80% of the sexually active population has the virus... like I said, it's a matter of showing abnormal signg (aka:abnormal pap for the ladies... men can NOT be tested as of now, there is only one way of "testing" a male that is NOT very reliable)

Originally posted by stephlynn
if you have sex with 2 people, you're chances of carrying HPV are 95%....

unprotected sex, you mean, right??

I was a health educator in my undergrad and yes, chances of transmitting ANY virus with unprotected sex is very high. As KDBuff said, it is not the gender of the individuals that puts them at risk, one should have it in order to transmit it.

And I think there is a reliable boold testing which can tell you if you have the virus or not.

be safe!

even wearing a condom does NOT always protect yourself from HPV... it can be contacted skin to skin since some warts are not visible to the naked eye, nor do they show symptoms.
Currently, there is NO test for males... which is a big contributor to making HPV the most common STD. The test I was talking about earlier that does not work to many people's satisfaction, is placing a towel soaked in solution and placing it on the males "area" :) and seeing if any spots show up. but anyways, this is getting too detailed.... but just wanted to clarify that males cannot get tested and protection does NOT protect you from HPV as it does other STD's... scary but true!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ShawnOne
And risk cancer? :scared:

:laugh:

been there done that (brain cancer survivor)

and the chances are really small anyhow. :D

Wow, I can't believe that you guys all wear condoms. I've probably been with at least 600 girls (striving to attain wilt's mythical number) and have never used a condom. I hope I?m ok :D

Ok, shouldn't joke about that...still scary though.

Originally posted by Zurich5
Wow, I can't believe that you guys all wear condoms. I've probably been with at least 600 girls (striving to attain wilt's mythical number) and have never used a condom. I hope I?m ok :D

Jesus Zurich, 600! Very soon I will learn to call you MASTER!

Your girlfriend will be delighted when she finds out! ;)

As funny as it may seem, there are some people in college like this. I have a twin brother who goes to a large, state party school where something like one out of every two students has an std, ouch!

Man: "Hey meet my girlfriend... we're engaged."

Man's Friend: "You're a lucky girl, as were 600 other gals back in college."

ever see that beer commercial?

I've probably been with at least 600 girls (striving to attain wilt's mythical number) and have never used a condom. I hope I?m ok :D

This was a joke, but sadly, i know people like this... more upsetting is that one is applying to med school and another one to dental aschool this year!!

Originally posted by Comet208
This was a joke, but sadly, i know people like this... more upsetting is that one is applying to med school and another one to dental aschool this year!!
What is so upsetting about it? If the girl isnt smart enough to refuse sex when the guy doesnt wear a condom. Well then who is to blame? And another thing, just because someone is applying to medical/dental school or got in, doesnt necessarily mean they are a more high caliber or respectable person. I often wonder where some of my gf's friends come from, lack of manners and consideration abound (they are all med students). So I dont believe just because they are in the medical field that they automatically have higher standards than the average person.

Originally posted by preludexl
just because someone is applying to medical/dental school or got in, doesnt necessarily mean they are a more high caliber or respectable person.

Very true; but one expects someone who is going to a healthcare field to know better.

Very true; but one expects someone who is going to a healthcare field to know better.
Not necessarily. Learning that stuff is the whole point of going to professional school in the first place.

This sounds like a job for the MythBusters...

Apologies to anyone who is offended by this, but:

Under these circumstances, does ?deepthroating? further increase the risk of cancer?

Under these circumstances, does ?deepthroating? further increase the risk of cancer?
Ha! :laugh:

Intuitively speaking, it probably wouldn't make any difference. The relevant factor is the transmission of HPV, which is an oncogenic virus. Anything that transmits the virus is probably going to distribute it pretty widely around the oral cavity...(especially if she knows what she's doing.)

Originally posted by preludexl
What is so upsetting about it? If the girl isnt smart enough to refuse sex when the guy doesnt wear a condom. Well then who is to blame? And another thing, just because someone is applying to medical/dental school or got in, doesnt necessarily mean they are a more high caliber or respectable person. I often wonder where some of my gf's friends come from, lack of manners and consideration abound (they are all med students). So I dont believe just because they are in the medical field that they automatically have higher standards than the average person.

I agree fully. Great post PreLud.

Originally posted by aphistis
Not necessarily. Learning that stuff is the whole point of going to professional school in the first place.

Nope, health education officially starts in High School. ever wondered why???

Nope, health education officially starts in High School. ever wondered why???
You're contradicting yourself. Either 1) People who are planning to attend professional school at some point should know better, in which case they're being held to a high standard simply because of their career aspirations, or 2) Everyone who attends high school should know better, in which case the standard should be uniform. Personally, I lean toward the latter, but you're arguing both.

Zurich, you own man.

I am officially a Zurich wannabe.

Yo STD's aren't cool, Zurich you better be careful man. Now I haven't had as many women as you but I've been around and getting STD's is the last thing you wanna do.

To test for STD's they stick a tiny q tip up your urethra (your pee hole)...so even if you are clean but suspect you have something, it ain't a pleasant experience!!!!

:scared: :wow:

Originally posted by Woodsy
Yo STD's aren't cool, Zurich you better be careful man. Now I haven't had as many women as you but I've been around and getting STD's is the last thing you wanna do.

To test for STD's they stick a tiny q tip up your urethra (your pee hole)...so even if you are clean but suspect you have something, it ain't a pleasant experience!!!!

:scared: :wow:

Oh yah?no way I?m messing with nasty girls, know some guys who had the ?test? and none of them thought it was a pleasurable experience. I?ve actually only slept with 300 girls, I know?soft.

Oh yah?no way I?m messing with nasty girls, know some guys who had the ?test? and none of them thought it was a pleasurable experience. I?ve actually only slept with 300 girls, I know?soft.

your a male slut Z :hardy:

I?ve actually only slept with 300 girls, I know?soft.

Your hand doesn't count. Neither does your inflatable Pam Anderson doll.:laugh:

I haven't met a girl that turned me down for the fear of mouth cancer. Ladies you will have more of a chance getting mouth cancer from putting on lipstick than oral sex.

Originally posted by toothache
I haven't met a girl that turned me down for the fear of mouth cancer. Ladies you will have more of a chance getting mouth cancer from putting on lipstick than oral sex.
Go find another message board to harass, please. I suggest the Everyone forum. You'll fit right in.

Originally posted by aphistis
Go find another message board to harass, please. I suggest the Everyone forum. You'll fit right in.

What the hell are you talking about? Did his post offend you in anyway?

"What the hell are you talking about? Did his post offend you in anyway?"

Wait 2 seconds and he will say the stupidest thing you have ever heard in your entire life... or go to other threads and you can see now