Oral Surgery Residency and Internationally-trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. I'm posting this question for a friend of mine. He studied dentistry abroad and then completed a 2-year pass program here so he could obtain a DMD from the US. He is also a green card holder since that does matter to programs.

He is interested in oral surgery and more particularly in the 6yr programs. Does anyone have any intel on which schools are more "foreign dentist" friendly? I know sometimes the med schools will strike out candidates who don't have an American undergrad education.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Love it ! :rolleyes:

ha..no really i am posting this for a friend.. i'm the farthest thing from a dentist and myself am in a totally different profession :)

so NileBDS..any thoughts!??

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if your friend has the american DMD now, he should be able to compete equally with other applicants. I dont see why he would be at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user
ha--not funny...my husband is not indian. :)

seriously, any HELPFUL responses

Where did he get his DMD/DDS from? Look into applying for programs in that state. Also, look for private universities/hospitals, and it also never hurts to ask whatever program he is applying for if there's some sort of a preference for applicants to be "in-state" or residents of that particular state/region.

There's not going to be an "international student friendly" program, they usually don't care where your from. From what i have seem, your husband shouldn't be too concern because a lot of OS residents are foreign (especially in the private northeast schools).

ha--not funny...my husband is not indian. :)

seriously, any HELPFUL responses

Tell your non-indian husband/friend to 'Ball Up' and start asking these questions himself.

Tell your non-indian husband/friend to 'Ball Up' and start asking these questions himself.

lol--he doesn't even know i'm asking these questions..i was asking for my own knowledge...he's done his own research.

I guess I should've explained this upfront. :)

"Tell him to get rid of his annoying indian accent"

Let's try not to make such comments here !!!

This is a legitimate concern. Some medical schools will not accept advanced standing students. Maybe even some OMFS residency directors won't I'm not sure. I am an advanced standing applicant myself. What I did is that I emailed PD's of different programs asking them if they would disqualify me because of that reason. Obviously I don't know about every single program but here's some information that might be helpful.
UCSF, UPENN, MGH, Parkland, Emory 6 year don't accept advanced standing students.
UCLA, Loma Linda it's a disadvantage but you have a chance (Loma Linda wants DAT though)
Most 4 year programs as far as I know have no problems with advanced standing students.
USC, UAB, LSU are some of the 6 year OMFS programs that accept advanced standing students. There are probably many more, but I'm not sure. I hope that helped.

This is a legitimate concern. Some medical schools will not accept advanced standing students. Maybe even some OMFS residency directors won't I'm not sure. I am an advanced standing applicant myself. What I did is that I emailed PD's of different programs asking them if they would disqualify me because of that reason. Obviously I don't know about every single program but here's some information that might be helpful.
UCSF, UPENN, MGH, Parkland, Emory 6 year don't accept advanced standing students.
UCLA, Loma Linda it's a disadvantage but you have a chance (Loma Linda wants DAT though)
Most 4 year programs as far as I know have no problems with advanced standing students.
USC, UAB, LSU are some of the 6 year OMFS programs that accept advanced standing students. There are probably many more, but I'm not sure. I hope that helped.

Just as the poster above had mentioned, I dont think it matters where you did your foreign dental training. As long as that husband/friend received an american DDS or DMD degree, he is eligible for residency consideration just like all the other american trained DDS/DMD.

The only foreign dental degree that Parkland accepts is Canadian. However, you can get the 2 year american dental degree and still be eligible for residency consideration.

Just as the poster above had mentioned, I dont think it matters where you did your foreign dental training. As long as that husband/friend received an american DDS or DMD degree, he is eligible for residency consideration just like all the other american trained DDS/DMD.

The only foreign dental degree that Parkland accepts is Canadian. However, you can get the 2 year american dental degree and still be eligible for residency consideration.

Not anymore. Our Canadian/Michigan friend was the last one according to E3.

Not anymore. Our Canadian/Michigan friend was the last one according to E3.

I thought E3 said during the interview that Canadians are ok, as long as they have a green card or american citizenship...

I don't know what you mean exactly by eligible. You can definitely apply, but i know for a fact that in the schools I have mentioned , you will not be considered. I know because I asked program directors.

Most any 6 year program with a state medical school will refuse foreign applicants cause of residency and state financial aid rules. As far as "foreign friendly" ones, the only one i can remember was emory but when word got out they took foreign trained dentists their program immediately began to look somewhat lopsidedly international so they stopped taking foreign trained dentists as far as i've been told.

thanks..this is really helpful!!!