Oral Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xyy22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering how demanding the profession of Oral Surgery is? LIke how many hours per week do they work, how stressful it is, and how much do they make a year. I would also like to know how demanding the residency is. I would be very thankful for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Oral surgery is one of the most demanding dental specialties both because of the long post-dmd/dds training of 4-6 yrs and the possibility of working in a hospital and doing on-calls like an MD. The salarys can range from 200,000 to 500,000+ after only a couple years of working. Some work in hospitals and some work in private surgery centers. As for stress it can also range because some just extract wisdom teeth yet others do emergency work in hospitals. I've seen job ads for oral surgeons listing 35hr 4day work weeks and 500,000+. You can check out some job postings at http://www.artofsearch.com/site_templates/AAOMS/index.asp?aff=AAOMS&SPLD=AAOMS. Some have lots of info about work weeks and salary.