order of reaction~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ippie

ippie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A reaction was found to have a half life that depended on the initial concentration of the reactant. For this reaction, which one of the following plots might be linear?

a. ln[A] vs. t
b. 1/[A] vs. t
c. both plots are linear.
d. neither plot is linear

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we know that first order (choice a) is out of the question since it doesn't depend on initial concentration. Remember the equation for a first order process -2.3log(N/N') = kt initial concentrations will cancel out with substitution. Or you can just use 0.7/k = half life. Second order half life does depend on initial rate. I'd go with choice b which is the linear format for a second order reaction.

1/[A] - 1/[A]' = kt

use the expression for the second order reaction and solve for the half life to convince yourself. do the same for first order

use the expression for the second order reaction and solve for the half life to convince yourself. do the same for first order

You are right. I was questioning the OP as to what the correct answer was because I would have guessed b as well.