• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Order of Things?

SeminoleFan3

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Can someone please explain the order of how this is supposed to work?
I've submitted my FAFSA and Institutional Forms already. Do I wait until I get my aid package and then apply for the loans I need?
Do I decide on a lender now and see if I'm approved?
Also, do most people get their Stafford and GradPLUS loans from the same lender?

Ahhhh, so much information! :confused:

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've submitted my FAFSA and Institutional Forms already. Do I wait until I get my aid package and then apply for the loans I need?
Also, do most people get their Stafford and GradPLUS loans from the same lender?

I can't say for sure, but I would wait until you get your aid packet. You could call the financial aid office and ask when to expect it. Many schools offer direct federal loans that are adminstered through the school. Some schools also offer institutional loans at more favorable interest rates than private loans. Some schools may just give you a list of the types of loans available and potential lenders. All should give you a very close estimation of next year's cost of attendance. It would be nice to review your financial aid packet to see what aid is offered you first, if possible. Good luck.

About the Ads

SeminoleFan3

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yes, but the FAO said it won't come out until around June 1st or something like that. School starts at the end of July, leaving not a lot of time. So, I'm trying to figure out how much of the paperwork I can do now.

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yes, but the FAO said it won't come out until around June 1st or something like that. School starts at the end of July, leaving not a lot of time. So, I'm trying to figure out how much of the paperwork I can do now.

I would contact the financial aid department of the school you will be attending and ask if they have a list of preferred lenders. Most schools have preferred lenders. You could contact them and review the terms of their loans. At least you could decide now what companies you prefer work with. However, without knowing the amount you may be receiving through your school, you may be unable to complete a loan application. Contact your school. I'm sure they get questions like yours all the time. Good Luck.

skysurf2

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

When you receive the award letter from the school they should also give directions for completing the loan applications. You can do your own research to find a lender, or you can let the school certify your loans with one of their preferred lenders. The loan forms are usually similar if not the same no matter which lender you use. You don't have to keep your Stafford Loans with the same lender as your PLUS Loans. Once you graduate you will probably consider consolidation options which would put all of your loans with the same lender anyways.
It's best to wait for an award letter from the school as the loan forms are time-sensitive applications and you don't want to have to redo anything. You won't need an approval for the Stafford Loans, just the GradPLUS Loan. The approval for the PLUS is based on credit, however it's a "soft" credit check. They aren't looking at your score or debt-to-income, just your credit history. It's supposed to be an easier loan to get than most private student loans.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

UK doesn't give out finanical aid packages until JUNE?!? Are you sure?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.