Order of third year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewells

Big Daddy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We will be scheduling our third year soon, and I would appreciate some advice on what rotations to do before EM that could would be useful. Any other advice on scheduling would be welcome as well.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As many as you can---definitely medicine, OB/gyn, surgery and peds, but if you could get cardiology, neuro, orthopedics in too, that will come useful. (That's the beauty of EM, it encompasses almost everything in medicine!)

Most places require you to do EM your fourth year, so you should have all the cores under your belt (medicine, surgery, etc.). I don't think there is any magical order to doing these. Some people argue doing medicine last if you want a higher Step 2, while others argue doing it first if you want higher clerkship grades. Medicine is generally the longest rotation, so many people think if you do it first, you have time to develop your clinical skills and this will translate into more honors your third year.

If you want to do EM, make sure you do your EM rotation FIRST your fourth year so you can get some letters of recommendation. Make sure you constantly talk to the ED docs during your third year. Let them know you're interested in EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
the order: fp,im,peds,psych,ob,surg
rationale: im and surg should be at opposite poles, because they're both demanding and might burn you out if done close together. fp first b/c it will prep you for im. no one cares about the fp grade anyway. peds after im, b/c they're similar in some respects. psych in the middle for a break. ob next to acquaint you with suturing and the OR so that you can shine in surgery. classes expected to honor: im,peds,surgery

your fourth year. if it starts in may or june, you should start the EM rotation at your home school. if it starts in july, I wouldn't do the EM rotation, because new interns are coming in and they'll rob you of your procedures, quality time with attendings. I would do a medicine subI instead (teaches you responsibility, hopefully allows you to admit from the ED, refreshes knowledge from a year ago, lays foundation for upcoming EM rotation, satisfies school subI requirement). I would do at least two EM/EM-related rotations AWAY after that (before december). december and january should be two painless rotations so you have time to interview (radiology, neuro). after that, you can choose whatever elective you want. electives that students have found useful: pulm/ICU,ortho,ENT, cards,anesthesia

I would just say, it doesn't in the end really matter. You can try and control it all but in the end, you will learn it all. I prefered doing surgery first because it was teh most intense. (no initial intention of going em.) And after talking to interns, it runs the gamut of what you happen to get a lot of.. some do lots of intubations and no LP's. some the other way..

there is a degree of randomness in terms of what you will get expertise in and just realize, you should get the most out of each rotation.

whats an LP?

Lumbar puncture....AKA spinal tap.

And no, the order of your third year rotations has no benefit. Even if it did help your third year grades or your board scores a few points, in the end, those don't really count for much at all. Get a good grade in your EM rotation, get a few decent letters, study for step I, you'll get in.

I agree with Roja,

It doesn't really matter what order you do your 3rd year rotations. As you can see everyone has their own "formula" and we all managed to get through and on into residency.

Just do EM early in 4th year to get those letters.

Most definately. Do EM early in the year fourth year. And consider doing more than one block... at a different place.