Orders received, smartwebmove doesn't service my zip code...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dEviantrAdiologist

Evacuation proctographer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Navy HPSP, transitioning to AD this July---I just received my orders and had a couple of quick questions that may or may not be applicable to others in the same boat (pun not intended).

As recommended by my orders, I need to use smartwebmove to help me get down to my final duty station. I live in the bay area and SWM does not service my zip code. What are my options for making this move? DIY or are there other services that I can contact?

Also, my orders say I need to go on temporary AD to get a physical and HIV test prior to PCSing. Do I need to report this to some entity? Do I get paid for travel expenses, etc or is this just a formality?

Any info would be great. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, my orders say I need to go on temporary AD to get a physical and HIV test prior to PCSing. Do I need to report this to some entity? Do I get paid for travel expenses, etc or is this just a formality?

Yeah, this was in my orders too. Im not doing it. You need an act of congress to get an HIV test in NYS. Someone important said something to the effect that its just written in the orders as a formality and we do this during orientation....I think the someone important was the internship coordinator at the hospital im going to and the doc at the recruiting office who is commissioning us. Maybe someone else who is important can clarify this. If not, oh well. Wouldn't be the first time i misinterpreted my orders or the Navy's instructions and didn't get something done when I was suppose to. The world stil turns ;)

There are a whole bunch of lines in orders which are automatic and can be ignored. The physical one is an example. You should have a current HIV though. But.....

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the overseas screening. Can we ignore that line as well? Is that just a formality on the orders? Thanks.

What about the overseas screening. Can we ignore that line as well? Is that just a formality on the orders? Thanks.

This wasn't an "option" for me. If I remember correctly it's mostly to make sure that you or your dependents do not have a serious condition that cannot be routinely treated overseas since hospitals or clinics may not have the capability to provide constant care for you or your dependents. Needless to say a lot of the screenings were a joke and families were still being sent overseas when they should not have been, but that's another issue.