Oregon "RxP"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakesaw

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Oregon going to be the next New Mexico, Louisiana?

Or can it be defeated like in New Hampshire?

I'm surprised not to find anything related to this legislation on the Oregon Psychiatric Association website.

http://www.oregonrxp.com/news.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what this stands for, but must be about psychologists and prescribing drugs. I am a NZ psychiatrist who is in favour of PROPERLY trained psychologists prescribing medications. I don't wish to start a war of words, just stating my opinion.

While it's not such a movement here, I find the proposition highly interesting. We're always a bit slower on the ball Downunder than the US - lol.

From my reading on it, however, it could be a very viable and beneficial idea in terms of co-operation in MH teams and maximisation of what are often already stretched resources.

T1/2

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess the OPA is fighting this. The American Psychiatric Association (which OPA is a district branch) gets involved very early in these situations.

Oregon is not alone. There are several states that are presently pushing for this forward. Hawaii looks like the next one to go...

Interesting. Where are people getting this information. I have not heard much about this, other than Psychiatric News.

I asked a mate of mine who is a psychologist and it is quite possible that California will pass a rather liberal psychologist prescribing bill this year, and if that is to occur then many other states will pass laws rather quickly. I think it would be interesting to work along side a psychologist who has been trained to prescribe just to observe the differences in approach. My guess is that they will be much more conservative prescribers.

I asked a mate of mine who is a psychologist and it is quite possible that California will pass a rather liberal psychologist prescribing bill this year, and if that is to occur then many other states will pass laws rather quickly. I think it would be interesting to work along side a psychologist who has been trained to prescribe just to observe the differences in approach. My guess is that they will be much more conservative prescribers.

I have heard that this is the case in New Mexico and Louisiana where psychologists are currently prescribing. Apparently more patients were taken off medications than were prescriptions written!

I had not heard about California. Anyone know where to track this information and how to get involved legislatively?

Please keep these types of discussions to the psychology forum. We've had multiple problems in the past with psychologists misrepresenting themselves on the psychiatry board and posting inappropriate comments in the psychiatry forum relating to this topic.

It looks as though it's happening again, so I'll ask that these topic take place primarily in that forum.

Future questionable threads such as these will be moved to that respective forum.

Please keep these types of discussions to the psychology forum. We've had multiple problems in the past with psychologists misrepresenting themselves on the psychiatry board and posting inappropriate comments in the psychiatry forum relating to this topic.

It looks as though it's happening again, so I'll ask that these topic take place primarily in that forum.

Future questionable threads such as these will be moved to that respective forum.

Just so I'm not misrepresenting information, for the record I am a psychology doctoral student. That said, I don't get it...I really don't. How is the discussion of this thread misleading or inappropriate? Surely RxP is a relevant issue to psychiatry, which is why this thread was started by a medical student on the psychiatry forum. I am personally interested in the arguements for and against RxP from multiple perspectives. I thought the point of SDN was to exchange information and engage in discussion even about difficult issues...or is that only if it's in line with the thinking of the powers that be.

You Americans need some therapy!:D

More seriously:

Apologies, Anasazi, I am new here and not really aware of the do's / don'ts protocol around topics for discussion.

If you or someone else would like to fill me in on the basic issue that would rock, PM is fine :)

kia ora

T1/2

Just so I'm not misrepresenting information, for the record I am a psychology doctoral student. That said, I don't get it...I really don't. How is the discussion of this thread misleading or inappropriate? Surely RxP is a relevant issue to psychiatry, which is why this thread was started by a medical student on the psychiatry forum. I am personally interested in the arguements for and against RxP from multiple perspectives. I thought the point of SDN was to exchange information and engage in discussion even about difficult issues...or is that only if it's in line with the thinking of the powers that be.

Every thread that had been started as a "discussion" on this issue, has resulted in flame wars and thread closure. It's akin to nixing such things as MD vs. DO threads in the pre-allo and pre-osteo forums.

There's a thread sticky dedicated to "advance practice" psychology where this discussion can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.