orgagic chemistry

Started by sonikudi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sonikudi

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi,
i am a sophomore and would be really thankful if anyone could tell me as which organic chemistry book is the best.
thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol, when I first read that, I thought it read orgasmic chemistry. I was like, damn, where can I take that class.
 
I think when people were discussing ochem texts, the Wade book was almost always the most frequently cited book as far as people liking it went. Whatever text you use, though, I've found that the "Organic Chemistry Edge" book by Kaplan is a great supplement. It really helped to explain things when my text (Carey) just wasn't doing it for me.
 
Organic chemistry's sole goal is to make us squirm and diminish our egos. Don't worry about the class so much. The birds will still be chirping next semester.
 
If you want to UNDERSTAND what's going on, use "Organic Chemistry 2nd Ed." by Maitland Jones Jr. It's taught using molecular orbital theory. If you can understand it, it'll save you LOTS of memorization. However, it is not for the faint of heart. It's used in honors orgo at UVA.
 
i think pushing electrons is a good one to start with. it's short and inexpensive, and does a good job explaining mechanisms.
for my ochem class we used Organic Chemisty by McMurry. i think it's pretty good, but i haven't seen many others, so i'd just go with whatever your school is using.
 
Originally posted by CH3CH2OH
i think pushing electrons is a good one to start with. it's short and inexpensive, and does a good job explaining mechanisms.


My ochem professor (a very good professor) specifically came out and recomended this to anyone who wanted another book to practice from.