Organ Donation after Cardiac Death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MediRounds

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you feel comfortable with the idea of organ donation after cardiac death (vs. the alternative of donation after brain death)?
 
Sure. They're totally dead. Brain death is the one with more moral quandaries, IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought that cardiac death didn't allow for all of the same organs to be usable post-death?

I think I heard this in high school many years ago and never got it corraborated, but it went something like this:

When someone is brain dead, their organs are still being perfused blood, so the person can donate those organs that get regular amounts of blood (like heart, lungs, liver, kidney, etc.)

While in cardiac death, those organs will lose blood supply and start to necrose before they can be ripped out of the patient, thus making them ill-advised transplant options. I have heard that corneas can be harvested from cardiac deaths, however?

I don't know if I'm way off base in these ideas, so if anyone can confirm/deny, that'd be useful.
 
I thought that cardiac death didn't allow for all of the same organs to be usable post-death?

Good article on donation after cardiac death.

Basically it involves people with injuries/illnesses deemed to be non-survivable but who do not meet the criteria for brain death. Life support if withdrawn in the OR with the organ procurement team standing by and the organs are harvested as soon as cardiac activity stops.

Note this is different from tissue donation (skin, bone, cornea, etc.), which can take place hours after cardiac death.