Organic 1, Calc 2, and Bio 1 in one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school goes by the semester system, and those three classes (General Biology 1, Organic Chemistry 1, and Calculus 2) will combine to be 15 units for the entire semester. These three classes will be the only classes I will be taking this fall.

Is this a bad idea? My goal is to understand every single concept we go over and to ace all three classes, but I'm afraid that time will be an issue, considering I have to do a lot of work for each class.

I'm sure I will understand the material, but the question is, how long will it take me to understand the material?

How would you study if you had such a schedule? Keep in mind that I have a lab for bio and chem as well.

Should I begin touching up on some of the concepts in those classes?

For Ochem, I've heard good things about the Organic Chem As A Second Language.

For Bio, I'm not sure what to do besides start reading the first couple of chapters from my text.

For Math, I was thinking of just going over calc 1 stuff. Including old quiz's and tests.

I have all August (no class, no work), so I can get a lot of preparation in before school begins. I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of work, and I'm in a situation where I have to take these classes at the same time (which is stressing me out).

I'm a good student, but will I be good enough to accomplish my goal? That's something I won't know until I finish the semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing almost the same except Bio 2 instead of 1 :x

Members don't see this ad :)
Well good luck GoodEarth.

I know a lot of people on this forum has taken the classes mentioned, and most of you guys know the capacity of information needed or learned for each class. Is it doable for one semester?

I finished a post-bacc last spring. I had Organic 2, Bio 2, and Physics 2, all with lab, plus a Lit class for 17 credit hours, AND I was preparing for the MCAT, AND I was working 15 hours per week.

I ended up doing really well. I won't toot my horn by telling you exactly how well I did, but I accomplished what I set out to do, and we can leave it at that.

How did I do it? Every spare moment is a blessing. WORK AHEAD. E-mail your profs now and find out what book they're using. Like right now, don't even finish reading this paragraph. I finished my physics book in one month (algebra-based, plus it helps that I majored in math). For Organic, stay at least 2 chapters ahead. Do every problem or at least 80% of them. Your Friday night is now chemistry night. Your dreams will be interesting, to say the least. When you go to bed, it's just a break because Saturday is chemistry day. When you feel like you've gotten far enough ahead in your organic text, reward yourself by doing some calculus problems.

For Biology, write detailed outlines of the hard chapters, which is most of them. I would usually read it once and then go back and do a detailed outline.

If you don't goof off too much during the week, you should have time on Sunday to catch a football game. If this sounds too hard, maybe you should consider law school.

Honestly that is not bad at all it is really only one more hard class (typically most people take 2 a semester) than normal. I would recommend orgo as a second language first hand (really helped me). Dont bother reviewing calc 1 notes for calc 2 as it will be 90% useless and not worth your time and dont bother studying for these classes untill school starts because you don't know what to expect for your specific classes at your school
best of luck

You can do it :)

I took those 3 with another class and working/volunteering...Not hard.

My school goes by the semester system, and those three classes (General Biology 1, Organic Chemistry 1, and Calculus 2) will combine to be 15 units for the entire semester. These three classes will be the only classes I will be taking this fall.

Is this a bad idea? My goal is to understand every single concept we go over and to ace all three classes, but I'm afraid that time will be an issue, considering I have to do a lot of work for each class.

I'm sure I will understand the material, but the question is, how long will it take me to understand the material?

How would you study if you had such a schedule? Keep in mind that I have a lab for bio and chem as well.

For Bio, I'm not sure what to do besides start reading the first couple of chapters from my text.

For Math, I was thinking of just going over calc 1 stuff. Including old quiz's and tests.

I have all August (no class, no work), so I can get a lot of preparation in before school begins. I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of work, and I'm in a situation where I have to take these classes at the same time (which is stressing me out).

I'm a good student, but will I be good enough to accomplish my goal? That's something I won't know until I finish the semester.

Are you seriously complaining of a 3-course semester? really?

Adam Smasher I really like your outlook, and it motivates me to do it.

I'm the kind of student that needs to see the material a couple of times before it gets stuck in my head for a while. (Basically I need time for the information to sink in ) But once the info is sunk into my brains deeper innings, I know the info for a long ass time.

I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses. I think this is what seperates the good students from the bad.

I know that I will need a lot of time to slowly outline/ read each chapter in bio

I know that I will need a lot of time to outline/read the ochem book and to practice the problems.

I know that I will need time to practice a million calc 2 questions, considering I did the same for calc 1 and did extremely well.

I know what I need to do, but I'm afraid that if a little bump in the road comes along, I won't be able to handle a catch up, and that's what's making me nervous.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I will be buying the Second Language book for chem soon. I'm pretty sure I'll do fine if I do what Adam Smasher stated for the next 16 weeks. I was planning on doing this, because to be quite honest, I REALLY want to accomplish this goal.

Are you seriously complaining of a 3-course semester? really?

The teachers that I signed up for require a lot of work.

The bio class takes up the majority of my time, considering the teacher only gives out 2-4 A's out of a class of 45. (I wouldn't have a problem getting one of those A's if this were my only class)

The chem class is taught by a famous professor, and even though this class seems to be easy going, I know that I need to do a lot of studying for it.

I'm not complaining by the way, I'm just asking the smart people on this forum if this were an OK schedule, and making sure I wasn't overdoing it, considering that people here have taken these classes at some point in their lives. I'm also asking for advice on how to prepare for such a schedule.

its completely doable. I took calc 2, physics 1 and ochem 1 and a lit class in the same semester and it was fine. Just don't do anything dumb like not go to class or not do homework.

It seems very doable. Bio 1 is fairly easy and calc 2 isn't so bad either, although both can be made tough depending on the professor. But the concepts are pretty easy. O-chem isn't horrible either, and you should be able to handle it, especially if these are the only courses you're taking (which there's nothing really wrong with since they add up to 15 credits total). But let me emphasize this: DO NOT pre-study for these courses. Now I'm sure you're going to anyway, but it will be a completely useless endeavor and you will look back on it and realize what prime break time you wasted. Just keep up with the material and you shold be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
did that plus political theory, and ochem and bio labs. doable, but i almost had a nervous breakdown catching up after getting the flu. you can do it, but it sucks hardcore. mostly because you have the stress having to do fairly well in all of those classes. the labs saved my gpa though, so i can't complain about them too much.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm taking physics, bio 2, and cal3 instead. And a couple of ge/basic classes

If you can't master 3 classes, then how can you master med school?

If you can't master 3 classes, then how can you master med school?

Totally agree, add another lab science and I may feel your pain, I've taken three labs a semester before (twice) and it's hard but definitely possible to do well.

You say you're forced to take these courses at the same time...and that you're a good student?

Prove it.

I'm a little nervous about my fall schedule too:

bio I w/lab
orgo II w/lab
gen chem II w/lab
physics II (calc-based, putting off lab in hopes of keeping my sanity)

I think you'll be fine, OP. I'm not so sure about me though!

dudes, y'all will be fine. Engineers take 10 times worse classes (and many do really well) during their "easy" semesters. Relax.

And you best be able to do well with 3 basic science classes, or else med school is gonna own you.

And bro, I think Adam Smasher is exaggerating a little and being sarcastic (or at least I hope he is... Friday night chemistry??? LOL)

Last edited:
I'm a little nervous about my fall schedule too:

bio I w/lab
orgo II w/lab
gen chem II w/lab
physics II (calc-based, putting off lab in hopes of keeping my sanity)

I think you'll be fine, OP. I'm not so sure about me though!

Now THAT is a schedule. Keep up with class and study hard, if you make it through with solid grades med schools won't doubt you've got what it takes.

Good luck.

Thanks, DonkeyD. I tend to slack off when I don't have a tough schedule, so maybe it'll actually work in my favor (or maybe I'm just trying to keep myself from freaking out).

I thought you had to take 5 course per semester (a full course load)?

I have always and will always take 5 courses....

My first semester of university consisted of Bio I W/ Lab, Chem I W/ Lab, Physics I W/ Lab, Calc I and ENG I
My second semester of univeristy consisted of Bio II W/ Lab, Chem II W/Lab, Physics IIW/Lab, Calc II and ENG II.

My 3rd semester of university is PHYSL I, Genetics W/Lab W/Seminar, ORGO I/W Lab, STAT, Calc III

My 4th semester of university is PHYSL II, Molecular Bio, ORGO II W/Lab, Lin Alg and Economics.

Im SURE you'll be fine with those 3 courses and please dont prepare for them, its just a waste of time....

Don't worry so much. You're still early in the game and classes will get much more difficult. Use this opportunity to learn how to study and take in large amounts of material quickly.

Seriously though .... orgo I & bio I = not so hard

Good luck!

God, I could not even imagine working on the semester system. 5 classes at a time? I'm on the quarter system, and three classes at a time is normal for us. in the fall I've got Organic I with lab, Physics I (calc based) with lab, and English 102 (argument and persuasion) And I'm freaking out about the organic and physics at the same time.

That's schedule's not bad.

Biochemistry 1 (with lab)
Physics 1 (with lab)
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (with Lab)
Philosophy (with Recitation)

:scared:

Don't worry so much. You're still early in the game and classes will get much more difficult. Use this opportunity to learn how to study and take in large amounts of material quickly.

Seriously though .... orgo I & bio I = not so hard

Good luck!

Just curious, how do you guys study so that large amount of material can be learned in short time periods?