Organic 2 pre-req

Started by necro1187
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

necro1187

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I graduated college 4 years ago with a degree in Biomedical engineering. My major only required the 1st semester of orgo and I'm now planning on taking the second semester to fulfill my pre-reqs. Has anyone had experience with taking courses so far apart? In a way it's like I never took orgo 1 because I really don't remember much (if anything). Im willing to put in substantial review to at least build up a good baseline knowledge. Any thoughts on a plan ahead?
 
You can audit out orgo1 and take it for a semester, then take 2 the following semester. Call your school and ask.
 
Buy the textbook for organic 2 in advance. It will just be the second half of a larger book. If the first half all seems familiar, you won't need to review so much. If it doesn't, audit or retake organic 1.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took them 8 years apart. For the month before the Orgo II class, I watched an episode of Khan Academy orgo each day and took notes like I was taking a course. Because I procrastinated, I didn't even make it through all the Orgo I material, but it was enough that I wasn't too far behind. This worked well enough to get an A in Orgo II.
 
You'll be fine. I did my last quarter of Orgo after a five year gap. I even took my MCAT before that.

Whatever was in the MCAT prep book was enough to get me refreshed. Assuming you did pretty decent, you will re-remember things quite fast. I doubt you'll need huge amounts of time to review. If you still have your old orgo textbook, just go through it.
 
Last edited: