Organic 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellBelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
It has been a very long time since I have had Orgo 1, but I was planning on taking Orgo 2, this coming semester. Is it necessary to know Orgo 1 very well to do good in Orgo 2 or is it a class where you learn new things? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you understand the fundamentals of the movement of electrons and WHY they move the way they do, you should be fine. I honestly felt as though I had forgotten all of Ochem 1 before taking Ochem 2 and still pulled off an A so I'm sure you can too with a little effort. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school Organic I and Organic II use the exact same book, so check with your school and you may be able to brush up on your Organic I before school starts.

HTH

At my school Organic I and Organic II use the exact same book, so check with your school and you may be able to brush up on your Organic I before school starts.

HTH

My orgo book had both I and II, but it was probably 1000 ish pages long and you could buy editions that had either I or II for half the price. Ugh, this brings back bad memories..

I wouldn't take 2 unless you are comfortable with 1. Pretty much everything we used in 1 we also used in 2.

you should be fine. just make sure to review ochem 1

You'll especially need prior knowledge if your school requires you to take the ACS final. Otherwise, you can get by without Orgo 1 knowledge. When I took Orgo 2, there were so many people in class who were in your same shoes and most of them still did well but they just needed to put in extra work.

Yeah, my school doesn't have the ACS final. I actually didn't know there was such a thing..sounds yucky!

For me, I don't remember the course being that brutally dependent on Orgo I concepts. We began with spectroscopy and then moved into resonance structures, reactions, etc...which had SOME component knowledge of Orgo I, but were explained pretty thoroughly when we learned them anyways. I wouldn't worry about it that much.