Organic and Physics Lab...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmira

Princess of Power
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just wanted some advice about the lab component of these courses...
I have taken Organic 1 but NO lab
Now i'm taking Organic 2 WITH lab

Should I get the 1st organic lab? Will med schools really notice AND care??
I know one full year of organic is required..but does this include labs?

I have this same problem with physics...i have the 1st physics lab , but not the second...

Any advice you can provide would be great! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i believe that the full-year requirement of both organic and physics *includes* labs. so you may have to make up the semester of lab that you missed, but i don't know how you would go about doing this without retaking the entire semester of lecture as well. the best way to find out what you need to do is to check with a few med schools that you may be interested in applying to, and find out what they say.

Sandflea is correct. You must have both lectures and LABS for both of those classes, as well as General Biology I and II plus labs, and General Chemistry I and II plus labs.

My school offers Organic chem lecture (3 credits) and Organic chem Lab (2 credits) These are separate classes and don't have to be taken at the same time. Although you can't take lab before you have the lecture part.

Our physics is taught as one 4 credit-hour course and you have to take lab at the same time as you take the lecture part. You don't have a choice.

The schools will notice if you haven't taken. Every secondary I filled out asked for all my required courses and when I took them. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amy Beth - did you take two organic labs or just one? my school does the same thing and i have only taken the one organic lab that is required for non-chem majors. it was a 2 hour class that was separate from the lecture. do i have to take another 2 hour organic lab?

Check with the premed advisor at your school. It depends on the school you go to.

For instance at my undergrad we take two 4 credit semesters of Orgo Lecture and one 2 credit semester of Lab whenever we want to take it. That is all that's offered and needed.

For physics we take two 4 credit semesters of lecture and two 1 credit semesters of lab which can be taken whenever we want to.

Good luck!

I'd take it to cover your basis at certain med schools. Like everyone has said, some med schools want the lab component of O-Chem as well! One lab won't kill you. Same with physics.

At my school for my BS in Biology you have to take O Chem I and II labs. I agree check with the pre-med advisor, and call any med school you are interested in and they will know for sure.

At my school the biology labs are included in the lecture grades and are not separate classes. How will med schools know that I took the labs?

Doctortobee--The AMCAS application has a place to indicate whether or not each class included lab.

What about for AACOMAS?