Organic Chem 2 on OAT?

tresrisque

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Organic Chem 2 isn't a pre-requisite for my school's optometry program, but I just wanted to know if there is a lot of Ochem 2 material on the OAT. If there isn't, is it worth taking?

Members don't see this ad.

Organic Chem 2 isn't a pre-requisite for my school's optometry program, but I just wanted to know if there is a lot of Ochem 2 material on the OAT. If there isn't, is it worth taking?

I only finished one quarter of Organic Chemistry when I took the OAT and I felt fortunate to get above a 300, but I'm not sure how much more material you guys cover in the semester system compared to the quarter system...

I had been told by people that OAT focuses more on OChem 1 material, but I had some complicated questions from second semester material when I took mine. To score high on that section, you should at least know about carbonyl compounds/alcohol reactions and it's not that easy to master that stuff overnight.

Without knowing the specifics of your schools' Organic Chem 2 ciriculum I can't answer your question exactly....
But from my experience with the OAT, there was definitely a substantial amount of Organic Chem II (as defined by the ciriculum in the university I attend in Canada), specifically Aromatic reactions, determining whether a compound was aromatic, fischer diagrams, carbonyl, amine/amide reactions, and NMR and IR plot interpretations.