Organic Chem Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

signature16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking Organic Chemistry at my community college. Will this be a problem when applying?

As I understand it, when classes are transfered from a CC to a 4 year university, it looks like the transfered classes were taken at the university on the transcript. Is there even anything nothing that the classes were taken at a CC?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to submit transcripts from ALL of the post secondary institutions you attend.

Whether it will be a problem or not will depend on other things. Are you currently a CC student headed to a university? If you are a university student planning on taking ochem at the CC because you think it will be easier or because you think that if you don't do well you can ignore it, retake at the univ. & no one will know, don't do that. They will know.

If you are doing things in the right order, it tends to work out. If you are trying to manipulate the game, it can come back to nag you. If that's the only class you take there, it will stand out. So, expect to someday be asked why. If you think that your honest answer would be satisfactory, you are probably fine. If you have to fudge a good reply, well, you know what kind of impression that will make.

If you follow that with higher level classes that have orgo as a prereq, those classes will reflect the validity of your orgo grade, as will the BS section of your MCAT score.

So, there ya go. It's an "iffy" situation because it depends on how, why, and when.

I am thinking of taking Organic Chemistry at my community college. Will this be a problem when applying?

As I understand it, when classes are transfered from a CC to a 4 year university, it looks like the transfered classes were taken at the university on the transcript. Is there even anything nothing that the classes were taken at a CC?

Are you transferring to a UC school? I just checked my catalog for Cuyamaca College, and it says that organic chemistry I is transferable to UC. I haven't heard anything about how it shows up on UC transcripts....something I'll be asking a counselor if the answer isn't provided here.

I'm also planning on taking organic chemistry before I transfer. I'm taking it simply because it will fit into my schedule, and it's a class I was to complete early instead of waiting until my third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a business major during my undergrad, and had to knock out a few pre-reqs last year before I applied. I took O-chem I and II at the local CC. I was very impressed with the quality of the instruction and the course as a whole (it may not be the same for you...my CC has a reputation for being a solid school for science classes).

Still, thus far in the application process no one has batted an eye at my pre-reqs that were completed at a CC. I have my first interview next week so we'll have to see if it comes up...

hope this helps

There was a guy in my Organic II class that had taken Organic I at a community college. We used the same Wade book as he did. He said they only got through chapter 6 at the cc. We did 1-12, and started organic II with chapter 13. I'm sure he was pretty busy the first few weeks. I would check the syllabus and make sure you're covering everything because you will be tested on it. That being said, I've taken other classes at CC and had a much better understanding than some friends that took the same class at a 4 yr school. It all depends on the teacher and the curriculum which varies widely.

It depends on the institution... Just like everything else does, some professors are better than others...

This decision is a no-brainer, no offense. Take it wherever is most convenient.

BAD move and overall LAME - if you can't hack OChem at the University level, you might want to consider another field. There is a reason it's a prerequisite. If you don't want to look like a slacker chode you need your core classes at the University.

Take your speech, writing, whatever lame a$$ "let's hate white men" of your choice studies at the CC, and then lets take our REAL classes with the big boys MMMMMkay?

BAD move and overall LAME - if you can't hack OChem at the University level, you might want to consider another field. There is a reason it's a prerequisite. If you don't want to look like a slacker chode you need your core classes at the University.

Take your speech, writing, whatever lame a$$ "let's hate white men" of your choice studies at the CC, and then lets take our REAL classes with the big boys MMMMMkay?

I plan on completing all the general ed classes I can, and still taking a few REAL classes like organic chemistry. I'd can't accept your recommendation to delay my science education.

STFU.

There is nothing wrong with taking your Organic Chemistry pre-med course at a community college as long as that course is adequate for MCAT preparation and as long as you do well (no grade less than B+). Your course should cover the MCAT topics and should include a lab in addition to be a two-semester (or three-quarter) course.

Most community college counselors will steer you towards the correct course if they know that you anticipate transfer to university and becoming a physical science major. In these cases, your organic chemistry course needs to transfer (most one semester courses do not).

Where people get into problems with community college Organic Chemistry is taking a course that is geared toward allied health professions (not enough depth or comprehension for MCAT) or not doing well.

I plan on completing all the general ed classes I can, and still taking a few REAL classes like organic chemistry. I'd can't accept your recommendation to delay my science education.

It's your show, Hoss. I liked my deck stacked as much as possible, but if you want to limp into your med school app and MCAT with some CC core science classes, then what can I say? Your gamble . . . hope you can live with it.

It's your show, Hoss. I liked my deck stacked as much as possible, but if you want to limp into your med school app and MCAT with some CC core science classes, then what can I say? Your gamble . . . hope you can live with it.

Glad to see you're showing your pleasant attitude again. :laugh: I'm not worried. I blow away tests. The only limping will be the test itself when I knock it out of the park.

Try to take as many science courses as you can at a university, especially if you are a non science major. Most Med schools over look grade point averages taken at cc's. So by the time you graduate you don't have a real science grade point average.

I think taking classes at a CC BEFORE you enter a 4 year is okay, given that you continue doing VERY well in the 4 year. Whatever grade you get at the CC is basically discounted and the schools look to your four year to get an indication of how strong of a candidate you really are.

However, after you started a 4year, to take a core class at a CC makes you look like a slacker because it implies that you don't think you can handle the class at your school.