Organic Chem Solvent Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lurker884

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm having real trouble with the organic questions that are like: "Which of the following solvents would be best to do this reaction in?"

Is there a trick to getting these questions right? :(

plz help :(

Members don't see this ad.

lurker884 said:
Hey guys. I'm having real trouble with the organic questions that are like: "Which of the following solvents would be best to do this reaction in?"

You have to consider the nature of the reaciton (SN1, SN2, E1, E2) and the structure of the reactant. I don't remember the specific rules, but know the answer lies in what solvent is appropriate for the particular reaction.

But when in doubt, go with the ether.

lurker884 said:

The biggest difference in solvents that will have an effect on reactions is whether the solvent is protic or aprotic. SN2 reactions prefer aprotic solvents, for instance, while SN1's prefer protic. Usually, a multiple choice question will have one of one type of solvent and four of the other type.
Common protic solvents are alcohols, ammonia, various acids....
Common aprotic solvents are acetone, dimethyl sulfoxide, dimethylformamide...

ADeadLois said:
But when in doubt, go with the ether.

All Praise and Glory to EK MCAT dogma. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
also remember like dissolves like. if its a nonpolar solute look for nonpolar solvent(lots of hydrocarbons).and if it's polar look for polar solvent(OH groups and charged molecules).

lurker884 said:

I wrote a post in the subforum about the four substitution and elimination mechanisms that you may find helpful, particularly the part about solvent. It's in the organic chem explanations thread. Also, there is a post in the gen chem explanations thread about polar protic versus polar aprotic and how to determine which is which.