organic chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captaindargo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posted bac at GSU...Today, The head of Undergrad Chem... told he will not let me take register for organic chem unless I retake both Gen Chem I and II... so basically I have the worst day ever....

Members don't see this ad.

captaindargo said:
I'm posted bac at GSU...Today, The head of Undergrad Chem... told he will not let me take register for organic chem unless I retake both Gen Chem I and II... so basically I have the worst day ever....

Man....that sucks. Cant you take organic chem at a community college nearby?

that what was thinking about doing.... I had plan to take bio II and physics II at GSU then go to a comm. college plus working as an EMT then mcats in april 2006..... should i take the mcats with taking Organic? will it look bad if i organic chem at another school :( i might die

Members don't see this ad :)
captain, WHY isn't he allowing you to take organic? seems fishy to me!

i'll say no to taking the MCAT without, seems some versions can have a lot of orgo on them. why risk a low score?

I got Cs in my Chem I and II and my undergrad GPA is not that great so he does not think i could get in med school if i don't retake them... :mad: and i totally get it. it just adds to my stress...

that definitly sucks. it probably wouldnt hurt to retake them to better understand the material for med school, but i understand that you want to get all the nessecary pre-MCAT stuff done ASAP.

maybe you can take the orgo elsewhere, and if it when application times, and you dont get in anywhere, then you can retake the chem's.

keep your head up. if you really want to be doctor, you make it work no matter what you've gotta do. let us know what's happening!!

How about if u take general chem I&II during the summer session? In the meanwhile you could go ahead and do organic....

Captain,

I would recommend biting the bulllet and retaking general chem and then tackling organic chemistry. It stinks, but it will be a good review for the MCAT, help with Organic, and resolve the low grades that you received the first time around.

I took organic five years after I took my general chemistry courses. It wasn't too bad, but was definitely work. When I took the MCAT last April I felt pretty confident in all areas except general chemistry. And of course my section was heavy on the gen chem component. I would have relished an opportunity to have been better prepared in that regard.

Good luck though! Hopefully you can find a way to accomplish everything without delying too much. If so, its not so bad.

scalpel179 said:
Captain,

I would recommend biting the bulllet and retaking general chem and then tackling organic chemistry. It stinks, but it will be a good review for the MCAT, help with Organic, and resolve the low grades that you received the first time around.

I took organic five years after I took my general chemistry courses. It wasn't too bad, but was definitely work. When I took the MCAT last April I felt pretty confident in all areas except general chemistry. And of course my section was heavy on the gen chem component. I would have relished an opportunity to have been better prepared in that regard.

Good luck though! Hopefully you can find a way to accomplish everything without delying too much. If so, its not so bad.

:eek: Thats the first time I've ever head someone have no trouble with organic chem but found general chem a bit difficult.

nev said:
:eek: Thats the first time I've ever head someone have no trouble with organic chem but found general chem a bit difficult.

Really? I was the same way. Organic was much easier for me than gen. chem.

BradenDO said:

Well...that could be a relief for me..

BradenDO said:
I got Cs in Gen. Chem, Bs in Organic, and an As in Biochem! Of course my career goals changed along the way, and I became more motivated to succeed over time, but apparently you can get into med school with Cs in Gen Chem. You can't get in with a D in Physics II, but if you retake it and do well, they will forgive you................ ;)

Is taking Gen Chem II and Organic Chem I, II in the same summer crazy...

nev said:
You'd be surprised how many people had problems with General Chemistry but Aced Organic Chemistry or vise versa. I got C's in Gen Chem but A's in Organic Chem as well.

Go for it, take both at once. I actually took the second half of gen chem and the first half of O chem at the same time and it wasn't bad at all. If you have already taken gen chem once it should be that much easier.

FutureDocDO said:
You'd be surprised how many people had problems with General Chemistry but Aced Organic Chemistry or vise versa. I got C's in Gen Chem but A's in Organic Chem as well.

FutureDocDO, what were your mcat and gpa scores? Was WVCOM hard on you for those C's???

captaindargo said:

At the same time? I think it would be tough. I took Gen Chem 2 over the summer...it was tough, but I think it helped that I saw the material everyday. Plus, I got it over with faster! :p

You went from asking if taking ochem 1&2 in the summer is crazy and now you are adding gen chem II to that?

Please don't do this. I pray you don't have labs!!!

How far is that community college? maybe you can take 12-13 credits at your current school and take 1 ochem class in the spring and 1 ochem class in the summer.

captaindargo said:

Tell him that you don't care what he thinks because it is YOUR grade and not his. He has NO right to say you can't take that class if you have the prereqs for it. My school never even checks prereqs. Who cares if you didn't do good your freshman/sophomore year. Organic was a lot more interesting than physical chem and I think that that is why a lot of people do better. If you tell him that and he still says no, go over his head and talk to his boss. Everyone has a boss to report to.