-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Organic Chem
Started by CatPartay
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/direct_frame_top.cgi
Has all the info you could ever want about any molecule (IR, NMR, molecular formula, structure) and very easy to search. It will probably become more useful to you once you start taking what you learn about structures and apply it to interpreting spectral data.
Has all the info you could ever want about any molecule (IR, NMR, molecular formula, structure) and very easy to search. It will probably become more useful to you once you start taking what you learn about structures and apply it to interpreting spectral data.
I used rapidlearningcenter.com for ochem help. It is kinda expensive, but it was like having lectures at home.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/direct_frame_top.cgi
Has all the info you could ever want about any molecule (IR, NMR, molecular formula, structure) and very easy to search. It will probably become more useful to you once you start taking what you learn about structures and apply it to interpreting spectral data.
Oh god, my head just exploded. Do I need to remember that crap for vet school? 🙂
Oh god, my head just exploded. Do I need to remember that crap for vet school? 🙂
Only if you love'd NMR and IR as much as I did slash you checked you orgo lab results against known data (and stapled both to your report so your TA could appreciate your data.)
/nerd on?
Only if you love'd NMR and IR as much as I did slash you checked you orgo lab results against known data (and stapled both to your report so your TA could appreciate your data.)
/nerd on?
I have to admit; I did enjoy the "here's your unknown, go identify it" portion of the class.
Right up until I turned my brain off and stuck my head in the hood to see something that was just out of my line of sight. The fumes put me in the emergency room. Dumb dumb dumb. I *still* can't believe I did that. It was one of those things where my curiosity got ahead of my brain. Couldn't open my eyes for a day or so without using my fingers to do it.
http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/direct_frame_top.cgi
Has all the info you could ever want about any molecule (IR, NMR, molecular formula, structure) and very easy to search. It will probably become more useful to you once you start taking what you learn about structures and apply it to interpreting spectral data.
Ahhhhh, I love SDBS! It's really great for practice IR/NMR/Mass Spec problems as you can just pull the spectra straight from the website and go at it. Definitely helped me through this last year of ochem!
Other than this, I really didn't refer to my book or online sites (though Colorado State has some good tutorials and practice problem sets when you get to other spectra), and spent A LOT of time in my professor's office hours. He clarified anything I needed clarification on and also offered additional problems. I know most professors aren't like that, but try getting some facetime in and let him/her know that you're there for a reason and you want to do well.
Other than that, Google can be quite helpful, but beware you may get a lot of chemical research!
Good luck!
Really glad you made this thread.... I am taking both organics in 2 terms this summer- started organic I + lab last week. Well, so far it is EATING ME ALIVE. That test yesterday? Newman projections won.
I just keep reminding myself that I'll be done by the end of the summer (UM. At least I hope lol) and that this has an ultimate purpose.........
I just keep reminding myself that I'll be done by the end of the summer (UM. At least I hope lol) and that this has an ultimate purpose.........
Really glad you made this thread.... I am taking both organics in 2 terms this summer- started organic I + lab last week. Well, so far it is EATING ME ALIVE. That test yesterday? Newman projections won.
I just keep reminding myself that I'll be done by the end of the summer (UM. At least I hope lol) and that this has an ultimate purpose.........
i was trepidatious about taking it in a crunched session because I would have a hard time probably absorbing and retaining it ontop of acing my exams so i'm taking it over the fall semester
how do you think you are handling it? besides eating you alive
Khan Academy has 70 short videos on O-chem, as well as chemistry, physics, calculus, linear algebra, stats and a little biology. His teaching method is extremely easy to follow.
http://www.khanacademy.org/
http://www.khanacademy.org/
Khan Academy has 70 short videos on O-chem, as well as chemistry, physics, calculus, linear algebra, stats and a little biology. His teaching method is extremely easy to follow.
http://www.khanacademy.org/
I agree I wish all teachers would point resources like this out to there students it helped me able to understand calculus concepts much more clearly
i was trepidatious about taking it in a crunched session because I would have a hard time probably absorbing and retaining it ontop of acing my exams so i'm taking it over the fall semester
how do you think you are handling it? besides eating you alive
It's actually ok so far- it's really just the subject matter that is giving me a hard time. Although we cover a lot of material really fast and have a test once a week, it's not impossible to keep up with. In a way, it's almost better because you have less time in between tests & finals to forget things. Plus you're only focusing on one subject.
Also, in my case, it seems like the professor is really chill about summer classes. The lab was all messy and disorganized when we started (still is lol) and he was like well I meant to clean this up for summer but... I didn't, oh well. lol. He's testing things out on us for his fall classes and sometimes just leaving parts off of lab or whatever to save for the fall. Lab is actually kinda fun- the other day we had Kanye West playing the whole time. Lack of pressure I feel like is due to the summer term. But this is probably a luck of the draw situation.
It IS a big sacrifice though. It's pretty much consuming my summer. On the days I don't have lab after lecture, I work in a clinic. + I work weekends. Sooooo no downtime whatsoever for me lol.
As long as you don't mind the time sacrifice, I don't think the condensed class is that much worse if at all worse than a semester class. I think I'll be ok. And I'm WAY excited about having organic knocked out by fall semester lol.
Both ochem I & II labs were the most fun labs I've ever had. We got to make awesome stuff: soap! glow in the dark solution! aspirin! BOOZE! I felt like a mad scientist and loved it.
Lecture, however, was dry as a bone. So, so boring. I wish I had looked for alternate resources so it wouldn't have been so tedious.
In the end, what got me through two semesters of ochem was knowing that if I at least passed, I would never, ever have to take the classes again! It's amazing how motivating that was. 😉
Lecture, however, was dry as a bone. So, so boring. I wish I had looked for alternate resources so it wouldn't have been so tedious.
In the end, what got me through two semesters of ochem was knowing that if I at least passed, I would never, ever have to take the classes again! It's amazing how motivating that was. 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both ochem I & II labs were the most fun labs I've ever had. We got to make awesome stuff: soap! glow in the dark solution! aspirin! BOOZE! I felt like a mad scientist and loved it.
Wish I had your lab. All we ever made in lab was various white crystalline substances (and one orange crystalline substance once) with stupidly long names and no one ever told me the real world application for them ("We're making this because it's frequently used in ____________"). I hated o chem lecture and lab.
Chemsketch (http://www.acdlabs.com/resources/freeware/chemsketch/) if you have windows
Marvinsketch (http://www.chemaxon.com/products/marvin/marvinsketch/) if you have a mac
You can check your structures there and also when you are learning to name compounds. You can draw the structure and the program will give you its IUPAC name.
I just took O chem last semester! I got an "A". I actually really like it. 😀
I had taken it 6 years ago and didn't do so well, but I also didn't try or study. I still managed to pass the class tho. I wanted to improve my grade so I retook it last semester and loved it.🙂
Marvinsketch (http://www.chemaxon.com/products/marvin/marvinsketch/) if you have a mac
You can check your structures there and also when you are learning to name compounds. You can draw the structure and the program will give you its IUPAC name.
I just took O chem last semester! I got an "A". I actually really like it. 😀
I had taken it 6 years ago and didn't do so well, but I also didn't try or study. I still managed to pass the class tho. I wanted to improve my grade so I retook it last semester and loved it.🙂
Don't forget to buy the models! I had 2 sets and was building constantly. It really helped me to see everything in 3-d. I would even keep my flashcards and my models in my purse go through reactions with my them whenever I was waiting in line, or between classes or something (/nerd). I was one of those "losers" who enjoyed O-Chem, though. 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 4K
