Organic chem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miringains

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright guys, MCAT in about a week and a half

being the stupid kid I am, I just realized that... I have done like 0 content review for organic chem!

On the flip side, I got A's in both my organic classes (with not too much effort) and have not had any trouble with any of the O chem on the FL tests

I have a great understanding of bonding, stereochem, isomers, alkene reactions, SN 1/2, E1/E2, Ketone reactions, Spectroscopy... etc etc

It just feels really weird because I have put soooo much time into general chem/physics and biology and yet hardly any in this! What are generally the topics people find hardest on O chem? I figure I will do one 5 hour review of O-chem soon
 
If you haven't done any of AAMC's tests yet, I would do that. Like yesterday. Just to get a feel for AAMC orgo. Also, I found that some of the stressed topics on the MCAT did not really show up in my UG organic, or weren't a major part of them anyway. Knowing some reactions cold, especially some of the less common named reactions, can help. Personally, I got tripped up by unfamiliar types of organic molecules (I forgot what a lactone was and the relevant reactions on one FL). Depending on how long ago your UG organic course was, I would definitely want to pick up an EK organic book if your fundamentals are strong, or TBR if you need to brush up on both fundamentals and advanced topics.
 
I had a drill sergeant for an Organic teacher with a strict 10 point grading scale. I never experienced a curve.

That was the hardest I've ever worked for a C. I will tell you one thing though; a year later and I still know organic cold.

If you pulled A's and had an excellent professor, a quick review of some spec figures and whatnot and you should be good to go.