organic chemistry admission requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uwgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most medical schools require 8 semester credits (~11.4 quarter credits) of organic chem. Is it possible to satisfy the requirement with introductory organic chemistry that is 2 quarters long (8 quarter credits) & one or two laboratory courses (3-6 quarter credits)? Is it a must to take a full year of organic chem?

Members don't see this ad.

uwgirl said:
Most medical schools require 8 semester credits (~11.4 quarter credits) of organic chem. Is it possible to satisfy the requirement with introductory organic chemistry that is 2 quarters long (8 quarter credits) & one or two laboratory courses (3-6 quarter credits)? Is it a must to take a full year of organic chem?

From what I understand, you have to take a full year of non-introductory organic chemistry. An introductory course does not satisfy the required content for admissios. I don’t think there’s any way around it. I know it sucks and you’ll never use it as a physician, but it’s just another loop all premeds have to jump though. I think it is just used as another way the weed out the pre-meds. You will need it in med school though. However, you will never use it as a physician. Take the class and get it over with.

Best of luck,
Caraway

sorry dude admissions commitee would not like it even if you found a way to go around the year of org chem. all the other students will have had taken it. It is not that bad of a class, you will do fine

clc8503 said:
From what I understand, you have to take a full year of non-introductory organic chemistry. An introductory course does not satisfy the required content for admissios. I don’t think there’s any way around it. I know it sucks and you’ll never use it as a physician, but it’s just another loop all premeds have to jump though. I think it is just used as another way the weed out the pre-meds. You will need it in med school though. However, you will never use it as a physician. Take the class and get it over with.

Best of luck,
Caraway

Hate to arguee with you bro, but I did'nt realise how important those Pre-reqs were untill I was in medical school. You will have a much easier time understanding why things happen the way do in bio-chem, phys, pharm if your backround in G-chem, Physics (yes I said physics), and O-chem is strong.