Organic Chemistry B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentea101

Reaction score
What is considered poor in organic chemistry?
I just did my final for Ochem1 and I didn't find the material hard throughout the semester, but I did make silly mistakes that cost me marks.
I think that I am going to get a B overall if I am lucky. My first two midterms I did get A-.
I know that O chem is a weed out class, and seeing as other students in my class got 100% in some of the quizzes and midterms, I feel like I did pretty bad.
Its making me reconsider if I then have the academic capability to be a med student.

Members don't see this ad.

How are your other courses? If you are good in your other courses, I think you're likely fine. Someone may have a grasp of the material in one specific subject that is good enough for med school, but they don't do well in that course for one reason or another. Ochem is a course that favors visual learners. If that is not you, then you may not pick it up as quickly as others (and be aware of that in Anatomy courses in the future for example). That's ok and not a reason to be docked a med school acceptance.

If you are doing B level work across more than a course or two, then that may signal more of an issue in terms of handling med school rigors.

Bio and General Chem is really easy and I get As easily and I have no problems there. I'm just concerned since people always say organic chemistry is a weed out class. I didn't think it was difficult but I always seem to mess up on the exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a B in orgo 2 and a B in calc 3 (As in everything else). I'm applying this cycle and my application results thus far are in my signature. Seems like the adcoms at the schools I applied to think I can handle med school despite my orgo B. Just learn from your mistakes, find better study strategies, and crush all your other classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a C in orgo2 (A- in orgo1) and I still made it. B's happen

I got a B in every prerequisite course that had “chemistry” anywhere in the name. A’s in all my other post bacc classes. I’m a med student now and doing just fine (MD). You can do it. It’ll be ok.

One class won't sink your entire application. As long as you're mostly an A student, a couple B's are ok.

Bro really? Don’t worry about one B. I got my only B of college in Organic I and it had no impact on my application... like others say it’s not one grade rather how is your GPA and is this a consistent thing because a 3.0 is not going to cut it. But to be worried about one B is not something you need to do. Alway to be honest O have used pretty much zero percent of what I learned in that class throughout these first two years of med school so it’s not even that relevant tbh.