Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was looking through the Kaplan flashcards and wasn't quite sure for the reasoning behind the following:
Which form of an alkene has a higher melting point (cis or trans)?
Answer: Trans
Reasoning: Due to its symmetry
Which form of an alkene has a higher boiling point (cis or trans)?
Answers: Cis
Reasining: Due to its polarity
Basically, I understand the reasoning for the first question as it allows for stacking, but don't understand why this doesn't apply to the second question as well.
Thanks.
(Also, sorry, I'm on a details-and-filling-in-any-last-gaps content kick right now which explains my extra posts these days.)
Which form of an alkene has a higher melting point (cis or trans)?
Answer: Trans
Reasoning: Due to its symmetry
Which form of an alkene has a higher boiling point (cis or trans)?
Answers: Cis
Reasining: Due to its polarity
Basically, I understand the reasoning for the first question as it allows for stacking, but don't understand why this doesn't apply to the second question as well.
Thanks.
(Also, sorry, I'm on a details-and-filling-in-any-last-gaps content kick right now which explains my extra posts these days.)