Organic Chemistry Help....

Started by delano2000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 2 questions on my Orgo homework that I can't figure out.


1. Determine the partial negative charge on the fluorine atom in a C-F bond. Bond length = 1.39 angstrom, bond dipole moment is 1.60 D.

2. What orbitals are used to form the 10 covalent bonds in propane?


Any help is appreciated.😀
 
What text are you using? Is this Organic I or II?

I am in my first week of Organic I and so far we have only had to determine the charge's direction, not the actual value.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an idiot. They're all "sp3" orbitals. I wasn't thinking straight.

The Carbons all have 4 bonds each. ex: The end C is connected to 3 H's and another C. It's shape is tetrahedral and the C is sp3 hybridized.

refresher source:
http://www.mhhe.com/physsci/chemistry/carey5e/Ch02/ch2-3-1.html
  • "Blend" (i.e. hybridise) the s and the three p orbitals...
    • since we "mixed" 4 orbitals, we get a set of 4 sp3 orbitals