Organic chemistry - know detailed nomenclatures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijk90825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't study nomenclature separately, I just learned from the questions and most of them were okay. But should I study nomenclature separately?

I was doing qvault question and it asked me for 3-methyl butyrate, I didn't know what butyrate was but I learned that it's a conjugate base of butanoic acid. But if it wasn't that type of question and involved in a mechanism I would not have gotten it.

Should I study more detailed nomenclature? Does DAT give you the name but not the structure on the test? Do they ask for the names of hard structures? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i was kinda wondering about this as well ...especially since i know you saw the naming in Romano's notes..some are pretty detailed, but theres nothing in destroyer that goes that deep and i havent seen much else go into that complicated naming so im THINKING not too much..... and i wouldnt have known what butyrate is either lol so dont feel too bad.....but yeah bump for OP's question in regards to naming detail and how the DAT utilizing naming