Organic Chemistry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IranBrooklyn77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the solubility rules when you have Nitrogen on Carbon chain?

Members don't see this ad.

If theres hydrogens on the nitrogen, its generally soluble.

Tertiary amines are somewhat soluble (limited to really short C-chain compounds).

(not exactly sure what you want to know beyond this but lemme know)

What are the solubility rules when you have Nitrogen on Carbon chain?
In general a carbon chain with 3 carbons or less with a nitrogen or oxygen is soluble in water. If 4 carbons it's borderline. Anything beyond that is not very soluble.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Why is diethyl ether not soluble in water? It was lone pairs on the oxygen doesn't it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is diethyl ether not soluble in water? It was lone pairs on the oxygen doesn't it? Thanks!
It is sparingly soluble in water (6.9 g/100 mL). As I stated,,,,,,when you hit the " magic " number of 4,,,,,water solubility begins to decrease and Van Der Waals forces DOMINATE hydrogen bonding. For the past 35 years, I was always most successful using THF......this cyclic ether is also 4 carbons...BUT......the carbons are " pulled back " due to the cyclic structure....and dissolves wonderfully with water !!!! With branching or in a cyclic structure, hydrogen bonding is able to compete more effectively against the Van Der Waals forces.

I hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Alright. Thank you very much for the help! I'llkeep number 4 in my mind ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Just to be clear if we do comparison between Ethanol and pentanol than Ethanol would be more water soluble? Is that correct