Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefully Future Dentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking the Dat before taking organic chem 1 and 2 any suggestions on where should i start and what books i should buy?!

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be very tough without any sort of orgo background. Personally the number 1 thing that helped me learn it was time and repetition (through lectures and exams). If you can, wait until you at least take orgo 1.

However if that's not an option, and you have the dedication necessary, I would suggest 3 resources: 1) Organic Chemistry as a Second Language 2) Chad's Videos 3) Khan Academy. Do not start with Destroyer if you have no background in orgo, as you will find yourself memorizing without understanding any of the principles behind anything. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would honestly take Ochem I at the very least. Is there any way to fit Ochem I into your schedule? It'll be a huge pain in the rear to self study.

Ochem II probably would have been nice to have, but I have not taken it and I think I was able to cover the necessary ochem material during my DAT studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the two books: Organic Chemistry as a second language (First semester and Second semester). Read it thoroughly and the concepts will become clear. Then do Chad's Videos (either from his site or course saver) and do his practice problems. Supplement with Youtube videos (specially Khan academy and Professor Dave explains). In a worst case scenario, if you are still not understanding, then start watching "Sean Hickey" on ItunesU; hes a university of New Orleans professor that records EVERY single one of his actual lectures and posts them up with supplementary videos (all for free by the way). And finally do Destroyer. People here will tell you to not to but I knew a few people that took the DAT and did well on the Orgo section before taking it with me. It'll need A LOT of discipline but totally doable, you were gonna teach yourself orgo for the actual class, why not start now? haha

It will be too hard in my opinion to grasp Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 without building a solid foundation from a college course. I personally think this would be setting yourself up for a retake. Unless you could afford a private tutor, to tutor you in Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 ( well not tutor you but basically teach you like a teacher would ) then you would be good if the tutor is fantastic. but you are risking then picking a bad tutor which you would not know they were bad since you have no foundation to judge your experience on. Too risky.

I am planning on taking the Dat before taking organic chem 1 and 2 any suggestions on where should i start and what books i should buy?!
In my opinion, Chad's videos aren't all that great if you do not have a bit of foundation. It's a review. A detailed one, but still a review. He assumes that you know the basics, especially when it comes to the reactions.
I did take Ochem 1 and 2 but really didn't learn anything since I was going through a rough time. Watched Chad's videos on course saver and the first half was okay but the rest, it took me 3~4 times the lengths of the video just to understand.
I recommend Dr. Mike Christiansen's video on Youtube. The videos aren't long and are very easy to understand. Then, watch Chad's. It'll be much better. If you want to start with Chad's, don't watch the DAT version (as they are edited to fit DAT materials), but the regular Ochem videos. I believe some are free.

If you haven't taken any ochem classes, I feel like it's too early to start preparing for the DAT o_O