organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lena20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't get an A in Organic does that completely reduce your chances of being accepted to md or md/phd? I have a B in o chem so far.

Members don't see this ad.

lena20 said:
If you don't get an A in Organic does that completely reduce your chances of being accepted to md or md/phd? I have a B in o chem so far.

Nope. Got a C (maybe C-) in orgoII. Didn't seem to hurt anything, and it was never mentioned in my MSTP interviews. Just keep the GPA up, and you'll be fine.

Don't worry

lena20 said:

I got a B in orgo II and I got into a few programs for next year. I was really mad at the time because my prof didn't give any guy in the class an A and girls who had failing grades received A's. He has since been released from the school for sexual harrassment allegations. However, I never had to mention any of that on any of my applications or interviews and the committees were able to overlook the grade when they saw the rest of my transcript. Like Jeter, no one even questioned or said anything at the schools I interviewed at (half of the ones I applied to), but that doesn't mean that the programs I didn't get interviews at didn't look down upon it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a B- in orgo II (and a C+ in Gen Chem I !!!) and it never came up. I got interviews at half the schools I applied to and have been accepted to every place I've interviewed at. I'm sure the lower sci GPA was why I didn't get interviews at the other schools, but I think if you're smart about where to apply (ie realistic), you should be fine with a B in orgo.

Oh yeah, one of interviewers actually told me that he was the one who get me the interview. My grades were too low but he thought my research was really interesting and wanted to see if I knew my $hit. How cool is that?

-X

perpetualstuden said:
I got a B in orgo II and I got into a few programs for next year. I was really mad at the time because my prof didn't give any guy in the class an A and girls who had failing grades received A's. He has since been released from the school for sexual harrassment allegations. However, I never had to mention any of that on any of my applications or interviews and the committees were able to overlook the grade when they saw the rest of my transcript. Like Jeter, no one even questioned or said anything at the schools I interviewed at (half of the ones I applied to), but that doesn't mean that the programs I didn't get interviews at didn't look down upon it.

xanthines said:
I got a B- in orgo II (and a C+ in Gen Chem I !!!) and it never came up. I got interviews at half the schools I applied to and have been accepted to every place I've interviewed at. I'm sure the lower sci GPA was why I didn't get interviews at the other schools, but I think if you're smart about where to apply (ie realistic), you should be fine with a B in orgo.

Oh yeah, one of interviewers actually told me that he was the one who get me the interview. My grades were too low but he thought my research was really interesting and wanted to see if I knew my $hit. How cool is that?

-X

Xanthines, i'm sure your mcat score was pretty high to balance out your grades.

lena20 said:

I got a C+ second semester (not to mention a C in cell bio). I'm faring okay so far, it's only come up once. And that guy was a jerk anyway...