Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the MCAT cover organic II, or only organic I?

Members don't see this ad.

Take my advice: I didnt even get to the review for Orgo II and I was consistently scoring 13's on Bio. YOU DONT NEED ALL OF ORGO, only some very basic concepts. I havent used TPR or Kaplan, but EK (which is the most abbreviated of all the review materials) covers more than enough material for all the orgo on the test.

You should probably take Orgo I though, because it will teach you the concepts which can be a little difficult the first time around, but you dont need Orgo II, which is mostly all reactions and can be covered from review materials once you learn the fundamentals of reaction mechanisms in Orgo I.

I've only taken a few practice tests, but it seems to me that organic is tested very little in comparison with all the other biology things that I don't seem to know :laugh:

Orgo makes up like 1/3rd of BS and usually has some stuff (carbonyl chemistry is the biggest offender) from organic 2. Personally I thought orgo was the best deal on the entire MCAT: it's practically guaranteed that if you understand organic you're not going to get questions you can't answer correctly. It's not like bio where you'll get hit with some weird stuff (nobody knows ALL the crazy stuff they test on) and be forced to extrapolate a completely new idea from a passage. I think I missed 1 organic question on all my practice mcats, just because they never really ask anything particularly original or different from what you learned in intro organic, at least compared to biology.

So the consensus seems to be don't stress organic II? Well, that's good because I will not have taken it until the spring of the year I plan on taking the MCATs. Thanks for the replies.