organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numberrronee

SebastiaN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was told by people that take this subject that not to take anything hard that semester. is this course that hard or are my friends over doing it? what were your grades and experiences through this. was it hard or easy for you

Members don't see this ad.

really study hard for it because if you know it well it will be easy on the DAT section of o-chem...my best score on my DAT came in o-chem helps boost the total science section

its a hard class. You'll find it very hard

Members don't see this ad :)
i was told by people that take this subject that not to take anything hard that semester. is this course that hard or are my friends over doing it? what were your grades and experiences through this. was it hard or easy for you

This has been covered in pervious threads but
O-Chem is different. It isnt like regular chemistry. The question on weather it is hard or not depends on how you think. I wont lie it is a difficult class, but it isnt as hard as some people make it out to be. This class doesnt weed out a lot pre-meds and pre-dents for nothing.
Just study, and study some more. I thought it was easier than gen chem but that was just me.

I studied hard and well for this course and still did horrible. Labs for me were really great, but the instructor gave us tests 28 pages in lengths in 1.5 hours time. No wonder almost nobody passed the course.

it all depends on the professor in my opinion.

Yes, the class is hard. Be prepared. I don't agree w/ taking all cake classes with it though. That looks like you are a scared puppy. I took GchemII, OChemI, Genetics, and did an internship all in the same semester and did fine. You just have to push yourself. Good luck.

I agree with DMD to Be. Even if you don't get an A in the course, if you take it with a tough course load it would look better. I took Ochem2 with Ochem2 lab, genetics, genetics lab, physiology, and calculus along with my ECs. It all depends on how motivated and discipline you are to studying... it's inevitable, you will study A LOT for Ochem, unless you are one of the few individuals who it just comes naturally to.

It's a lot of work but not really deep theory. You do need to read the book and work the problems at the end of each chapter. I recommend buying Kaplan's Organic Chemistry Edge used for about $10 and reading the appropriate sections as you go through the class. You could also try Schaums or whatever. I recommend the Kaplan book.

it has been done before

O chem is easier than gchem. Gchem is all equations, you have to find out which one works, etc. Ochem is just looking at a figure and figuring out how it reacts. I got all a's in gchem at UCSD, and then taking ochem, i think i did a lot less work and got a's and an a+ in the last quarter. dont stress out, just take good notes, and work hard if you dont understand something.

it took ochem,physics, and higher level bio classes....let's just say my grades weren't the best that i could do...i was taking 19 credits...if i could go back i would've dropped physics..kept ochem and higher level bio...

btw i thought chem I and II were a lot easier..i got b+ and A respectively...
ochemI & II-- C+ and B
physics is definitely the hardest in my opinion (c & C+)
bio's easy (A & A)

my point is if you want to take orgo take either chem or bio along with it not superhard classes like physics...

just my OPINION;)

Ochem requires alot of time to study because there is alot of information. The nature of the information isn't too difficult though.

Well, This Quarter I'm Taking Organic Chemistry, Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Speech, T.A. for Biological Instrumentation, and Scuba Diving. This will be a total of 13 hours on a quater system. The maximum amount a student can take on the quater system, at my school, is 12. I had to get special permission from my dean to do this. I've heard Organics was difficult, but I've also heard that it's just memorization. I've had over 40 hours of biology and an additional 40 hours of Clinical Laboratory Science so the memorization game is nothing new to me. Personally I think I would rather memorize a bunch of structures instead of solving equilibrium and pressure problems in general chem, but then again I'm not exactly a fan of math, and that's what General Chem mostly consist of.

ochem isn't difficult if you take the time to learn some basic rules with regards to functional groups and various types of reactions. Yes, you will have to memorize various reactions but it's pretty easy. btw, def. get a good O-book to use as a reference. good luck!

The nuts and bolts of organic chemistry, is a really good prep book to read and learn from!!!! It is intended for incoming organic students. I suggest you get it.

Also, many people have raved about klein's Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

I didn't use either, and I enjoyed the class, but it was because I always came in prepared. I took ochem 2 over the summer in 8 weeks and it just about ripped me a new one. But I did well, because I stayed caught up. Learn organic chemistry and enjoy it, memorize organic chemistry and despise it. Either way you can make a good grade, it's all about your perception of the class.

Good luck

Klien's O-Chem as a second Language is a great text. I'd really recommend it.

If you have an iPad I would check out Organic Chemistry: Reactions and Mechanisms in the app store.

As far as study strategy I'd really just focus on understanding what each the role of each reagent is, what is an oxidizing agent, reducing agent, acid, base, etc. Make sure not to fall behind and get the parts that need to be memorized very solid. Once you have the necessary memorization down (not as much as you probably think) it is much easier to think through reactions.

I actually liked Ochem. I was warned by so many that it would be hard but it ended up being my best score on the DAT as well. Also I discovered Chad at the end of Orgo 1 and I used him for better understanding. Everyone is different....go in with a positive attitude, practice slow and steady and you should be fine.

original

I liked Ochem but is is very difficult at most university's.

its nothing like general chem and physics.

its nothing like biology either

it requires about 25-35% underestanding mechanisms (reaction mechanisms) and the rest is route memorization. Orgo 1 you'll learn about 20-30 reactions (need memorize them cold). And orgo 2 you'll learn another 30-40-ish. Personally, I think it was easier than general gem, but I did work hard it, I didn't half ass.