Mar 17, 2010
Status
I know that organic chemistry is an important part in pharmacy, but do I really need to know the mechanisms with all the gritty details for pharmacy school?? If these are used, how much of it is incorporated into pharmacy school?

The reason why I'm asking is I took a break from school due to family problems, and going back to school. I have taken organic chemistry about 1 year ago and I can tell what most of the products would be, but I do not remember a thing about the mechanisms of getting to the product. I found mechanisms to be the most boring part of organic chemistry. Please help, I'd rather review other materials and not waste time on things that are not important.:(

Prepharm1214

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
It's used some in Biochem and Med Chem, but you don't need to know the laborious details. In short, no it's not a very integral part of pharm school from my experience.

spacecowgirl

brr
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
in an igloo
Status
Pharmacist
Organic chemistry gave me nightmares and I did just fine in pharmacy school. I even did well in med chem despite my problems with o-chem.

mike36

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Austin, TX
Status
Pharmacist
You should be fine. It had been 7 years since I had taken organic chemistry before starting pharmacy school. In my opinion, having a strong understanding of human physiology will help you more in pharmacy school than organic chemistry.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
You should be fine. It had been 7 years since I had taken organic chemistry before starting pharmacy school. In my opinion, having a strong understanding of human physiology will help you more in pharmacy school than organic chemistry.
With that said, should I flip through my A&P book before pharm school in the Fall?

mike36

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Austin, TX
Status
Pharmacist
With that said, should I flip through my A&P book before pharm school in the Fall?
No. I would not do anything. You will get all of your physiology in pharmacy school. Seriously, take a break. Relax.

God, I don't understand this need that newly accepted pharmacy students have to study and read before the Fall starts. :confused:

Last edited:

MustLoveDrugs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
No. I would not do anything. You will get all of your physiology in pharmacy school. Seriously, take a break. Relax.

God, I don't understand this need that newly accepted pharmacy students have to study and read before the Fall starts. :confused:
:thumbup:

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Well, perhaps the reason is that we are excited about this new adventure :) did you not feel the same way when you were first accepted? Besides, for the last several years, working and studying is all I have ever known lol not having to do anything school related for awhile makes me feel "naked" or something. :)

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Well, perhaps the reason is that we are excited about this new adventure :) did you not feel the same way when you were first accepted? Besides, for the last several years, working and studying is all I have ever known lol not having to do anything school related for awhile makes me feel "naked" or something. :)
Trust us, when you are into the 2nd month of pharmacy school, you are going to wish you had gone on some lavish vacation before starting.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Only thing I really had to use was pKa vs pH (ionized vs un-ionized) for determining how soluble a drug would be at different pHs in the body. That and knowing how certain functional groups influence the pull of electrons.

I know what you mean. :( I'm getting ready to start pharmacy school next fall. I took all my Chemistry/Organic chemistry at a junior college. The original teacher I had was amazing I learned a lot. But midway through Organic I he got sick an we got a new teacher. The new teacher totally knows nothing about organic! He's so inaccurate and he is CONSTANTLY being corrected by students. Not good! lol. He gives us assignments and we really have no idea how to do them (and frankly...i don't think he has a clue either cuz he can't help us).

This REALLY scares me since I figure we probably actually need to know this. Luckily the good teacher was here when we were learning about the basic structures of elements (like esters, ethers, alcohols, alkanes, etc.). And I'm usually able to draw and name the basic ones. However when it comes to knowing all the reactions/knowing how to synthesize esters, ethers....I don't feel confident. Is this bad?

LOL! And before you say anything...yes I know I wrote a lot but that's just one of the main things I'm worried about before I go to grad school this fall. Otherwise, I'm REALLY excited. So I guess my question for all you experts is....do you think that basic information is what we need to have for rx school and they will teach us the rest? or should I try and take a class this summer with a different teacher.

*sigh*
freak out moment complete. lol. :p

By3Times1Minus1

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
Austin, TX
Status
Pharmacy Student

Mostly because everyone makes it sound like a very daunting journey, and I have no doubt that it will be. I'm sure most P0's are kind of scared of what's ahead and just don't want to get caught with their pants around their ankles once school starts. I got my bachelor's 4 years ago and took o-chem about 6 or 7 years ago, so personally, I was worried that I would be very rusty and behind when school starts. UT's interview packet even had a sheet that of "things students wished they knew before starting pharmacy school" that listed things about UT, Austin, classmates, housing, pharmacy, school supplies, etc that most current students surveyed agreed upon. Actually, one of the items was to brush up on o-chem over the summer. After talking to individual P1's, I am more at ease now that they have reassured me that it's not necessary and suggested going over amino acids and A&P instead if anything. I will definitely enjoy the summer as much as possible while trying to save some money, but I'm sure a little refresher can't hurt here and there.

IrishHammer

Rated Rx Superstar
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Western New York
Status
Pharmacy Student
Mostly because everyone makes it sound like a very daunting journey, and I have no doubt that it will be. I'm sure most P0's are kind of scared of what's ahead and just don't want to get caught with their pants around their ankles once school starts. I got my bachelor's 4 years ago and took o-chem about 6 or 7 years ago, so personally, I was worried that I would be very rusty and behind when school starts. UT's interview packet even had a sheet that of "things students wished they knew before starting pharmacy school" that listed things about UT, Austin, classmates, housing, pharmacy, school supplies, etc that most current students surveyed agreed upon. Actually, one of the items was to brush up on o-chem over the summer. After talking to individual P1's, I am more at ease now that they have reassured me that it's not necessary and suggested going over amino acids and A&P instead if anything. I will definitely enjoy the summer as much as possible while trying to save some money, but I'm sure a little refresher can't hurt here and there.
Yeah, I've seen way more Biology than Chemistry so far this year. So far, everything we've needed to know from undergrad was brought up in a review context. You might want to keep your textbooks and notebooks in case you need them for future reference, but enjoy your summer. You won't lose that much of what you learned if you spend a few months just relaxing.

Jun 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I hated organic chem in undergrad, but I did perfectly fine throughout pharmacy school. You just need to know your basic chem and organic chem stuff, none of the complicated stuff. I made A's in med chem and I didn't even like chemistry in undergrad. Don't worry, you will be fine. Just try your best to get at least a B in organic chem to try to get into pharm school.

Thanks lots guys! Its just good to hear it from people who know from experience. :D Yes, I plan on enjoying the summer! School will be tough but i'm definitely ready for it...i think....lol. ;) Thanks again!