Organic - Odyssey number 36 Carbonyl compounds

Started by Mrhyde
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Organic - Odyssey number 36 Chap.14 - Carbonyl Compounds topic.

I have never seen this reaction that happens after the Hoffman reaction.

The two confusing things I find from this question are :

1) When Br2 attaches Ortho/Para it is usually always done through using a Louis Acid Catalyst since this is an EAS reaction...........but we just use Br2 over h20 in this one and it works ?

2) When Br2 attaches in an EAS reaction we usually get the Ortho + Para products BUT in this case, we get ONE product that has BOTH Ortho and Para added to the same benzene ? I remember adding both Orth and Para to one product being wrong from my notes.....
 
Organic - Odyssey number 36 Chap.14 - Carbonyl Compounds topic.

I have never seen this reaction that happens after the Hoffman reaction.

The two confusing things I find from this question are :

1) When Br2 attaches Ortho/Para it is usually always done through using a Louis Acid Catalyst since this is an EAS reaction...........but we just use Br2 over h20 in this one and it works ?

2) When Br2 attaches in an EAS reaction we usually get the Ortho + Para products BUT in this case, we get ONE product that has BOTH Ortho and Para added to the same benzene ? I remember adding both Orth and Para to one product being wrong from my notes.....
A perspicacious student you are !!!! The NH2 group is a SUPER activator,,,,,it is so reactive they we don't even need a Lewis acid catalyst !!! In real life, it would be a waste of money . Note that the reaction didn't just give a single bromination , but both ortho positions and the para position are brominated. In lab, we often use protecting groups such as acetyl chloride when dealing with the NH2 group on a benzene ring. If you need to read more on this, The Maitland Jones text as well as the David Klein text do a wonderful job. Great question. I hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
 
A perspicacious student you are !!!! The NH2 group is a SUPER activator,,,,,it is so reactive they we don't even need a Lewis acid catalyst !!! In real life, it would be a waste of money . Note that the reaction didn't just give a single bromination , but both ortho positions and the para position are brominated. In lab, we often use protecting groups such as acetyl chloride when dealing with the NH2 group on a benzene ring. If you need to read more on this, The Maitland Jones text as well as the David Klein text do a wonderful job. Great question. I hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
@orgoman22 .... Interesting. I was expecting a ortho + para product , something like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/AromaticChlorination.png
So ortho and para being on the same one product instead of having an ortho + para product, happens in this case just because NH2 is seen as a "super activator" ?

Thank you 🙂