Organic Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have defiitive rules as to when to add halides following markovnikov's rule or anti-markovniov?

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever peroxides are present it is always anti-Markovnikov (b/c it proceeds by a radical intermediate, not carbocation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever peroxides are present it is always anti-Markovnikov (b/c it proceeds by a radical intermediate, not carbocation).

I thought it's anti only with HBR/Peroxide. For example, HCl with Peroxide will still yield Markovnikov.. Anybody?!

I thought it's anti only with HBR/Peroxide. For example, HCl with Peroxide will still yield Markovnikov.. Anybody?!

Everyone here is wrong except for s0chon02. Don't be fooled into thinking that peroxides will ALWAYS yield anti-markonikov addition of halides. In your ochem text I'm sure that you will see that early experiments showed that anti-markonikov addition of halide"s" really only worked for HBr but for other halides such as HCl and HI, they will always add markonikov. There are exceptions however. But with regards to peroxides it is only HBr that is anti.

So Anti-mark is only HBr in peroxide for the most part, right?